sid

Communication Through Programming Port

10 posts in this topic

I want to communicate to FX2N PLC using its programming port with computers serial port. What's the programming port communication protocol of FX series PLC?

Hi Sid, I have experience in using FX2N plc with RS232 port (FX2N-232BD) to link to Intouch Wonderware MMI Soft. The i/o server I used is MELSECA that come with Intouch Package. I have not try with the programming port before, but I have seen there is a machine maker that used FX2N programming port to link to visual Basic with a protocol soft from Mitsubishi. I have also it's protocol but not try it yet with Visual Basic soft. Thanks & best regards steve

I think your best option would be the FX2N-232BD board. These are very cheap (about 60GBP) and set up a direct RS232 port into the the FX2N.Also, the board is very small and fits just to the left hand side of the programming port on the FX2N, so if space is an issue, you can still fit one.

Steve, can you send me the protocol(or Protocol soft) details of FX programming port. I know about FX2N-232,485,422BD etc. communication boards, i have used them using RS instructions but i want to communicate using programming port only.

Easiest way is to get MX-Component or MX-OPC Server. MX-Component gives you a set of programming tools which can be used in VB or VC to communicate with any Mitsubishi PLC. If you search back through some other threads here it has been discussed how to do this several times.

what you wants to do? if you want to monitoring, you need a communication module fx2n-232bd or fx2n-23ìf rs232c. but if you want to program outside your office, you can use an serial-Ethernet converter. connects the serial cable of plc with the converter and connect to the network and you can program in any PC of his office and if you have a WAN direction, you can program from any part of the world. I use a moxa serial-ethernet converter 5110 Edited by aprendis

Thanks Crossbow, Now I know about the Melsec communication(MC) protocol and downloaded your manual of MC protocol. It helped me very much. Once again thanks to everybody

I have both a FX2N and FX3U that I wish to poll input, memory, and coils through the programming port. (in a similar way the GX developer does when monitoring) I'm also beginning to cut my teeth on Rapid SCADA, and would like this data for it. Wondering if anyone has already made or has experience to make a driver/module to obtain the coils from the PLC using the programming port, and make it available to Rapid SCADA as a modbus rtu connection, or better, a dll use for a Rapid SCADA connection?

I've looked for the Melsec communication(MC) protocol manuals referenced above. What I found reference the FX5 series PLCs. Is the protocol the same, or was it different for the 2 and 3 series controllers?

Thanks in advance

I communicate directly into the programming port using RS422 as I have the protocol from waaaaay back when (being old has it's advantages).  This way of accessing the device limits you to only be able to read and write the D Registers from D0 to D999 but with a bit of code in the plc you can jump around that and reach all of the registers.  The other point is that you can only run at 9600 e 7 1 serial speed and protocol.  But you can do a lot at that speed if you need to.

The link technique is rock solid.  It has never let me down yet.  You can LAN enable the PLC if you use a Lan to RS232 converter (TIBBO do a good one) and link to the PLC through the HMI if you have one handy.

The old E-Series are better at handling the through link compared to the newer units but the link takes priority over the HMI so no worries there. 

If there is enough interest and can dig out the .pdf I have and post it if needs be.  Advice on the legality of sharing this type of data would be appreciated.

Edited by whyme

whyme, yes that .pdf would be helpful!