Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loosewire

1771-SDN DeviceNet Wiring

7 posts in this topic

I am currently designing a system that will be using two 1771-SDN DeviceNet adapters. The problem is that I would like to identify the wiring coming into the 1771-SDN but I do not currently have the hardware to reference. The documentation states "use the color-coded header to wire your module". Can anyone tell me what that color code is from the header?

The header has five terminals: Red - +24V White - CAN+ Shield Blue - CAN- Black - 24V common The 24V is your network cable supply voltage. CAN +/- are the network data wires

Just a word of advice. Set you Dnet's up with their own power supplies. Keeping them seperate from the I/O 24VDC (if applicable) is much safer. Keeping the network power supplies isolated will reduce problems in the future.

Can a PC connected to the DeviceNet network via a 1761-NET-DNI have full access to the network itself? (Instead of 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD) For example, consider the PC a programming terminal in which access to configure devices on the network is desired. Also, using RSNetWorx configure communication between the 1771-SDN with other non AB devices.

loosewire, the 1761-NET-DNI is really just a DF1 encapsulation device. It doesn't provide "DeviceNet" access per se, just a way to wrap up DF1 and transport it over DNet. It won't do the same things that a 1770-KFD will do. I have a number of customers with 1771-SDN based systems who are disappointed with the speed of the 1771-SDNPT passthrough driver, and want central access instead of having to walk down to the DeviceNet with a KFD. We're eagerly awaiting the launch of the 1788-EN2DN that will let us drill down using RSLinx from Ethernet to DeviceNet.

Most devices ship with an "Electronic Data Sheet", aka EDS file. This describes the device's encoded DeviceNet data objects to an EDS-based configuration tool, of which RSNetworx for DeviceNet is probably the most popular. If your slave device has an EDS file, it most likely can be configured using RSNetworx. If your 3rd party device is a Master, it can't be configured with RSNetworx. The ODVA never set out a universal standard for Master configuration, so each vendor does it themselves.