Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

0-200 microamp to 0-10 VDC converter

17 posts in this topic

I am looking for a converter to take a 0-200 microamp signal and convert it to a 0-10 VDC signal. Anyone have any ideas?

How about 0-125 microamps to 4-20? http://www.emesystems.com/pdfs/uclcmanual_RevB.pdf

Phoenix Contact offers several conversion modules (with isolation) that will cover your needs I'm sure.

I thought they would too but can't seem to find any microamp converters. Do you have a part number?

TW, We use Calex modules. They might have what you are looking for. Here is a link to their site: http://www.calex.com/ swimmy67

Nice looking product but I can't seem to find them for a microamp input

ok, how about 0...200uA -> 0...10V? The only downsides are; it's narrow, fast, universal power supply, takes less than 1W, it accepts either voltage or current input and output, it has 3-way isolation etc....but everything else is good. ok here is their software to generate dip switch settings and calibration procedure(s). btw. part number should be 8560740000 WaveTool_Ver_1.24b.zip

That looks great. Thanks One thing I have gotten a little confused on is obviously it takes a voltage differential to make the current flow, but is there a limit how high the voltage can be on the converter?

This baby is universal converter/isolator. Range is set by dip switches. This is why that little program is so handy. It really saves time... I don't know if there is newer version, or anything this nice for any other product, but I would like to find out.

I apologize but I don't know all of the details of what the machine will be used for. This converter will be hooked to a flame rod. The concern I have is even though it is a microamp signal apparently the voltage will be around 390 VDC. Do you see this being a problem?

ah, another detail... imho this unit is as tough as it gets and it's perfect for the application but it has to be applied correctly. for high voltage in input circuit it is important to check isolation level. for current signals (<5mA) input impedance is 100 Ohm (5 Ohm for signals >=5mA) so there must be another series load in the circuit. you just cannot connect 390VDC to a miliamp meter without load (current meters are low impedance devices and always wired in series) or consequences (letting smoke out) unless circuit is already current limited one way or another. Wave DC/DC isolation is rated for 600V and tested at 4kVeff (input against output, against power... it's complete 3way isolation). is 390VDC circuit grounded or otherwise referenced? if so where are you going to measure current (high or low side)? check page 26: http://ext.wexoe.dk/download/isu/561842-WA...ies-GB-2002.pdf

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I read up on it and it looks like it will work. Thanks TW

TW, I thought you were looking for a 0-200uA converter. I suggested a Calex module that was 0-20mA but that was wrong. Panic suggest a 0-20mA and you tell him it will work. What gives?

hi swimmy67, i'm not sure whick calex unit you have in mind. i'm guessing it's the 8907... both 8907 and weidmuller unit have 3-way isolation etc but the later one supports almost any input/output combination and range such as 0-200uA is supported as well.

I didn't realize the Calex unit would go 0 to 200 uA. I will look at it again

You should cover yourself, liability wise, and declare that your design in no way infers flame safety provision, because that's what flame rods are typically used for. Honeywell and Fireye make specialty products with US/FM approvals for flame safeguards. Failure modes are a big consideration in flame safeguard approval, and it doesn't seem to have been made clear to you what the end user is doing with this signal. Dan

It is a monitoring system that will parallel and existing safety system. I am toying with the idea of doing something similar at my plant and was discussing it with a friend who is trying it. The only thing he lacks is the measurement of the actual flame strength which we both want. Mine would be for troubleshooting, his has to do with emissions. That's why I am not sure of all of the details but both would have existing safety systems that will not be compromised