Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ICTechs.com

How do I Communicate with a SLC 5/05

6 posts in this topic

Hello All, Here is my problem. 99% of the SLC's on this site are SLC 5/04. Communcation is a non issue with the SLC 5/04 (We use PCMK). We have this new skid that has a SLC 5/05 (Ethernet) connection, and a RS-232 port. I need to upload the program that is currently on the SLC 5/05. My qusetion is this: What is the easiest, and best way to communicate with the SLC 5/05. What cables do I need to get? When in RSLinx to "Configure Drivers" do i use "Ethernet" or "Ethernet I/P" or do I just use the RS 232 port? If I do use the RS-232 port what is the driver configuration for the RS 232 in RSLinx. Thanks JB Edited by ICTechs.com

You can hook directly to the ethernet port with a crossover cable connected to your laptop and use BOOTP, driver should be Ethernet I/P. Or you can use the RS232 connection and use the RS232-DF1 driver with null modem cable and hit Auto configure.

Serial port will be the easiest; just like the 5/04s. You may need to connect to it using the serial port to examine the ethernet port settings anyways.

As long as you know the IP address and set you computers for it (if PLC is 192.168.0.1 make you PC 192.168.0.101 or something) you should have not problem with the Ethernet/IP driver or the Ethernet driver. The Ethernet driver you must enter the IP address of the PLC and it will only browse the addresses specified. The Ethernet/IP driver will browse all addresses. If I am unsure of the IP address I would use the Ethernet/IP driver. If I knew the IP address I would setup a Ethernet driver so I wouldn't have to see all the other devices on the network

You can connect with the RS232 using the AB DF1 DH485 driver and the Ethernet I believe you can use either one, I'm running an old version of RSLinx so I only have the one to choose from.

Got it to upload! Used RS232 and configured the dDF-1 driver as described above Thanks for the help,