Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KIKO

windows xp password

16 posts in this topic

hello anybody know how to reset the windows XP password. i will tell u the problem in details. I can log on to my computer by my password but when i try to open some portions on the control panel it is saying that i don't have the right to do it. that's happened cause one freind make a password. do u know how to overcome that?

Try steps 1 - 13 on this website I've done it once or twice before. Keep in mind, you could loose your computer data this way...make sure you got everything backed up. If nothing else, re-install Windows is the BEST way...

interesting, i always used locksmith... it's a very nice program. it doesn't tell you what the password was but you can change it to new one. the only thing is you need to reboot but there is no installation etc.

i tried that steps on the web site but after i choosen repair it asked me for the administrator password!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it stated that if you have service pack 1 or greater, it won't work. Maybe try locksmith like panic mode suggest.

Maybe you should try something like hirens boot cd. Dont know what their website is, you could probably google it. I find there is very little that windows can throw at you that you cant fix with it. Almost forgot. If it is windows xp home, if you press F8 when it starts up and start it in safemode, it automatically logs you in as administrator (big security hole). Edited by Camel

hi all I still have the problem and any help is appreciated

1 Acquire a copy of hirens boot cd. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/ 2 Burn the image to a disk. 3 Put disk in CD rom and reboot. 4 Press any key to boot from CD. 5 Use one of these tools to reset the password: Password Tools: - Active Password Changer 3.0 - To Reset User Password on windows NT/2000/XP/2003 (FAT/NTFS) - Offline NT/2K/XP Password Changer - utility to reset windows nt/2000/xp administrator/user password. - Registry Viewer 4.2 - Registry Viewer/Editor for Win9x/Me/NT/2K/XP - NTPWD - utility to reset windows nt/2000/xp administrator/user password. - ATAPWD 1.2 - Hard Disk Password Utility.

Cooool advice there .. go the mighty Camel...

Thank you.

Goodies like this are why I lurk here......

Ok I must be REALLY dense, but I didn't see where you could actually "acquire" the boot CD from that website! What am I missing?

There IS some cool freeware on his(her?) site, that can be downloaded. Trusty ol' Google for the other item...

The way I see it, CD also contains many commercial products (like PArtition Magic) and this is why they can't offer it for download (not legally). But the important thing is actual list of utilities they have on their CD. If you scroll to "Password Tools" you will see what tools they use and then you could make your own boot disk to have those tools. For example see these links: http://www.password-changer.com/download.htm http://www.grape-info.com/doc/win2000srv/s...y/ntpasswd.html (up to XP with SP1...?)

Well I'm finally getting around to playing around with Hiren's boot CD and it looks promising, but everything seems to be compressed with an obscure utility (UHARC).. Doesn't look like anything on the CD is usable until it is de-compressed! Did I miss some fundamental point or is this going to be a tremendous PITA?

If you boot from the CD, you boot to a shell/console environment, that has a menu to select the program you want to use, once you make your selection, the CD uncompresses it and runs it. Basically all the programs are decompressed on the fly. I thought it was a great idea, it allows many more programs to be packed onto the CD.