Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mountainman

multiple devices to serial port on cqm1

8 posts in this topic

Is it possible to connect two devices into the serial port on a cqm1h at the same time. With cqm1h it is possible to insert a serial innerboard, but with cqm1 not sure how to accomplish this. Need to keep the periphial port free to use with pc when needed. Is it possible to install some type of expansion module for multiple serial ports with cqm1. Thanks

Here is a link to the CQM1H serial communications board manual. CQM1H serial communications board

I have used the serial inner board with the cqm1h. Am wondering if there is a way to connect two different devices into the serial port or the Periphal port on a regular cqm1. Thanks

Generally, cannot see how you could do that. However, if your 2 devices were Modbus RTU protocol for example, these devices have an address and you could write a programme to extract data from each address in turn. Although, multidrop Modbus RTU is normally RS485. Use a 232/485 converter. If the devices do not have an address, I cannot see how you could do it. Maybe someone smarter than me will have a different idea. I would use the SCB. Good luck.

Instead of making us guess about your application, how about telling us what you're really trying to accomplish. It could be there is a solution, but we need more information.

have application with machinery that is using a omron cqm1 plc instead of a omron cqm1h. machinery is running a nt20s display as well as a barcode scanner. at the moment, only using the good read and bad read etc. outputs from the scanner that are directly connected to the omron inputs in order to determine if barcode read was good or bad read. The scanner is not directly connected to the serial port, only connection to serial port is the message display. use the Pheriphal port whenever I need to connect with the plc and monitor, modify, etc. On equipment running a omron cqm1h have connected the scanner to the serial port on the serial inner board, display on the reqular serial port. This still leaves the Pheriphal port free. Since able to run scanner into seperate serial port on a innerboard am also able to show the scanned barcode value on the display. Could replace the cqm1 processor on the equipment with a cqm1h processor, and then install a serial innerboard, but was hoping that maybe there was sometype of cable or other device that could connect into the regular serial port on a Cqm1 and allow multiple serial devices to be connected. Thanks for all of the inputs

have seen a device on the web that will connect to the serial port on a AB plc that would then allow multiple serial devices to be connected into the serial port and was hoping someone may have made one for a Omron. Not sure who makes the device, but seen it either on this site or another similiar site

Guest_mountainman: Please register at MrPLC.com and join the MRPLC.com community Register at MrPLC.com These types of adapters work well as long as neither device is trying to continually access the serial port. Unfortunately, the NT20S is in a continual poll of the serial port.