Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gruntstripe

Cleaning Slip Rings

7 posts in this topic

Hi, What's the best way to clean dirty slip-rings? Can you use an abrasive paper (what grade?) or is a cleaning solvent (IPA?) better? Should slip-rings be dead smooth and shiny? Thanks in advance. (Sorry - I know it's nothing to do with PLCs) Edited by gruntstripe

Do not use abrasives on any kind of electrical contacts. They tend to leave little pieces of abrasive behind, and they tend to cause a very little bit of arcing when contacts open or close or collector rings rotate. We have used rubber erasures for slip rings that were used for signals such as thermo couples and other analog signals with very good luck. As far as rings used for the transmission of power, you can try the erasure trick, or contact cleaner, but once they get pitted or worn, either have them lightly machined or have them replaced. Just had way too much bad experiences with crocus cloths and other abraisives on electrical stuff, so hope this helps a little bit.

We use rubbing alcohol and green scrub pads to clean the slip rings on M109A6 Howitzers. Keep in mind that rubbing alcohol is flammable.

M109. Hmmmm, that has to be a 155 if I remember right. Its been a few years. Do they still have the FIST calling the shots or did they go the way of a lot of the other MOS's out there?

Yes it is 155mm. Not quite sure about the FIST, heard of it but I just don't know. I work in 30 and 40 level electronics maintenance support of M270 and M109 series artillery and munitions (mainly M270). As for the FDC guys, they use a system called AFATDS for data communications (Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System). http://www.raytheon.com/products/afatds/ Most MOSs aren't going away, they are just consolidating them.

http://www.kimballmidwest.com/Catalog/cata...x.asp?L1=87-883 This what I have used for years. It is like a pencil with fiberglass strands. Does and excellent job and doesn't scratch the copper or silver plated surface. It is good to rinse with contact cleaner after.

A typical product has such advantages as low cost and easy implementation. However, the main and very significant disadvantage of typical softwares managemart and cloud servers is that some of them are difficult to set according to individual company characteristics due to limitations in advanced settings or lack of them.