Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Kinetix Motion From AB

5 posts in this topic

Just finished a class on the Compactlogix L42 processor with Kinetix 6000 servo motion package. This is quite a sweet package for the price and potential of 4 physical axes with Cnet or Enet/IP and local I/O. Definitely worth a look. Ol Joe Relay {Yep that'd be me} set it up and had it going in under 2 hours. Nothing fancy just a basic pick and place program. If Kinetix on Tour reaches you AB Distributor, take him up on a class - if nothing else it is a day out of the office and includes a free lunch. At least at our Distributor in DerbyTown, USA.

Thanks for the info Bob. I can't wait to play with the L42

THought I would update this post. I have been playing with the Kinetix 6000 package with both L55 and L61 CPU's on a couple of different machines for months now. Have to say having all my motion instructions in ladder logic is really cool. Biggest adaptation for me was the fact that the DN bit doesn't mean that the command is done. DN bit means that the logic and CPU are Done sending teh command to the drive. You need to watch some new bits {IP - In Process} and {PC - Process Complete} to know when your command finishes executing. Actually had to debug some code provided by an SI and replace his use of DN with PC.

A subtle point that may or may not be relevant to your application: The PC bit for a move (MAM) instruction signifies that the command position has reached the target. The axis, however, will continue moving until the following error is reduced below the sensitivity of your tuning. You may need to combine the PC bit with the position lock status of the axis to be sure the move has completed.

Thanks Gerry I'll Keep that in Mind.