Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbo

Need Help with RSLinx

37 posts in this topic

You may need to install this EDS file so that RSLinx recognizes the processor. http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/det...00E00361000.eds run the EDS hardware installation tool under Rockwell Software>RSLinx>Tools from the Program Manager. Edited by jstolaruk

If you have a 1756-L61 then you must be using a 1756-ENET or 1756-ENBT card and you will need the eds files installed. When you installed Linx Classic it should have installed these for you, but someitmes it doesn't. Check out the www.ab.com/networks/eds page and search for Ethernet and select catalog number 1756 leave the rest at default. This will list the 15 or so EDS's which apply to 1756 enet and enbt and enwb cards. Pick the one that matches your card and use the EDS installation tool found under rockwell software. The correct EDS should remove the red x and let you flash items.

I tried what you recommended and the EDS installed OK but still no success. A point of interest is that when the serial connection was working RSLinx found the PLC and knew what it is. Is there a chance that the Ethernet module isn't communicating with the PLC or needs to be cinfigured somehow?

Actually when connection throug a 1756-xxxx (which card are you using??) the first thing you will see in rslinx is the ethernet card, not the plc. Once you have established communications to the Enet card in Rslinx you will then be able to browse the entire backplane for you PLC. I am a little confused, if I remember right if you have a red X on a device I seem to remember that there was a problem with the Network set-up?? If you can ping the Enet Card...... I didn't think Linx would show it with a red X through it. You may want to double check all of your Network settings again.. Edited by TechJunki

I'm not sure what else to try but maybe I'll have better luck connecting to the machine at work tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I make out. Right now I am fried and need to get some sleep. Good night and thanks for all your help. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Boy I don't check the forum before I go to bed and miss 20 post on this thread. Couple of other things to look at on Ethernet. Hopefully I am not being repetitive Did you run the Windows Firewall Configuration Utility? Do you have any Internet Security Softwares including those that may have been provided by your ISP?

Good Point TW I keep forgetting about that nasty firewall and security stuff.

When I have users who are having trouble with RSLinx drivers, RSLinx browsing, or EDS files I always ask that they both PING the 1756-ENBT module and enter it's IP address into a web browser. I sometimes even specify that they PING the module once with it plugged in, then attempt again with it unplugged to be sure that there is no duplicate IP address on the network. If you can view the 1756-ENBT's built-in web page with a browser, then you might have a firewall or EDS issue. Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) files can be a bit of a hassle, but Rockwell provides the tools to handle them. Your web browser interface to the 1756-ENBT will show you the exact revision of the module, and you can then download the EDS file from www.ab.com/networks/eds and register it with the RSLinx Hardware Registration Tool. Next we have to check out the possibility of a firewall problem. The Windows XP SP2 firewall is well known to block the EtherNet/IP browsing driver, but it typically does not block the AB_Ethernet driver that has the IP addresses directly entered into it. Again, this usually isn't that hard to do, but sometimes it's your turn in the dunk tank. I usually spend ten minutes maximum commissioning new computers to communicate with ControlLogix on Ethernet unless they have a particularly cranky third-party firewall, VPN, or external Ethernet adapter.

Ken is right about starting with basics. It only makes sense to play with software settings after ping is ok. Also one of frequent mistakes is to manually assign address and not disable BOOTP. Here are few things to try: Check local address and subnet mask of the PC - from command prompt issue command IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG /ALL note IP Address and subnet mask (you also need Gateway if both devices are on different subnets). Check IP address of the PLC (should be also scrolling on cards display). Check the Subnet mask and IP addresses match (convert all to binary, where mask has 1, bits on both PC and PLC must be same - either both 0 or both 1, also in the mask, all 1's are on the left and all 0's are on the right) Try PING <PLC IP Address> If still not ok, check cables. Older computers dond't support MDI/MDX so if you are connecting directly you must use crossover cable - or straight cables connected to hub or switch.

You guys are terrific! I can't believe all of the help (and encouragement) that you have provided over the past 3 days. I tried connecting to the work PLC today on the inoperative machine and was succesful in communicating with it through my PC so everything is working correctly on it. I was able to solve the software problem and get the machine operational so all of the work (and your help) over the weekend paid off. And I want to thank each of you again. I still have the issue of communicating with the spare PLC that I was working with at home over the weekend, though. Since the software communication on my PC seem to be working (based on my results at work) and since I am able to ping theIP address I am guessing that the problem lies in recognizing the ethernet module. I want to take another look at the EDS files that I loaded and make sure that they are right. I will try to use a web browser to get the exact revision number of the ethernet module. In looking at the sticker on the module I wasn't sure of it. Panic_Mode mentioned about disabling bootp... I did manually assign the IP address but don't recall disabling bootp. I'll look at that and double check the addresses. The second issue that I'll have to deal with once I establish communication again with the spare PLC is the issue of incompatible firmware versions. But I'll take it one step at a time. The past 3 days have been pretty exhausting so I'll probably wait till tomorrow evening to try these things and let you know what I find out. Thanks again for all of the help!

Good News - Glad you got thre real one working. Your problems with the spare will most likely involve flashing the Ethernet module and then the PLC up to a current revision.

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to this forum sooner but a lot has been happening lately and I didn't have a free second. I finally returned to my second problem of trying to communicate with my spare PLC. I changed the IP address that I was setting in the ethernet module to the one that was set in the work machines ethernet module and I was able to establish communication and see the backplane. There must have been a conflict that I wasn't aware of with the first IP address I selected. Once I was able to communicate with the PLC I was able to flash the firmware and transfer my program. I can now continue with my goal of using the spare PLC to help me to learn to program Allen Bradley PLC's. My previous experience has been with Modicon and Square D exclusively and so far I see significant differences, so it should be interesting. One thing is for sure! I wouldn't have gotten this far with installing the A-B software correctly and communicating with the PLC without all of you help. I hope that some day I can know enough to be of as much assistance to someone else on this forum. So to all that helped... Thank you very much!