Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brianafischer

Conventions and Connector Explanation?

3 posts in this topic

Is there a good resource that explains common measurement systems, convetions, and terminology. I am a little new to selecting panel components. Looking through a recent Lumberg catalog brought up a few questions: 1. What are the common connector types: M8/M12 and what do they stand for? 2. Where can I find a resource that explains convetions/bets practices for panel layout and design For Example, I was told that the XFMR should not be near the pneumatics, PLC outputs to solenoids should be fused, ... I have a few questions regarding shunts also. Where does an engineer get that info from? Thanks, Brian

As far as connectors go, I don't know a good source for learning about them except flipping through the catalogs. A 8 in a M8 and the 12 in a M12 refers to the diameter of the plug in metric. A M8 may also be called a Micro connector and is found on many sensors. A M12 is sometimes called a Mini connector. It is seen on larger sensors, networks, and some tool cords. I usually get the device first, then find the cable for it. MrPLC has recently stated a gallery HERE with pictures of control panels that may give you some ideas about panel layout. Also you need to get your countries electrical code. I didn't state your country in your profile but in the US you need to get the NFPA70 book. You may also look into local ordinances. The particular plant may also have specifications you must follow. Always ask for a copy of their General Equipment Specifications and Electrical Specifications. If they do not have one it is a good idea to ask if they have any preferences. As you find you have particular question, the best way to get opinions is right here. You will find there is a wide variety of people participating in this forum. As far as transformers near pneumatics, I have never heard of that on. Fused PLC outputs, yes, but opinions of this may vary. I would suggest you start topics on these and see what others have to say. Edit - I told you wrong. A Mini is a 7/8-16UN A DC Micro is M12x1 An AC Micro is 1/2-20UN A Pico is M8x1 Edited by TWControls

TWControls is pointing you in the right direction with the NFPA and customer specifications. Most customers will have standards that help them control spare parts inventory. If you use one brand of sensors for all machines, there are fewer spares necessary as one spare may cover three machines for example. As for layout, I don't know of any written resource, but a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Keep like devices together. Keep >120VAC away from DC controls where possible. Keep noise generating devices (anything with PWM control like Variable Frequency Drive or servo amplifiers) away from signal carrying conductors. Minimize wiring runs insdie the panel when possible. Make external connections easily accessible to the entry/exit points. Looking at what others have done is a good starting point. Talk to the people that interact with the panel and see what they like about existing designs and what they don't like. As for Transformers, they are heat generators, as are linear power supplies which include transformers. Try to keep heat generators away from heat sensitive devices. I am not sure why a pneumatic bank would be considered heat sensitive, but you get the idea. Make sure the panel has sufficient temperature control for the application. Hoffman has a good resource for determining what BTU cooling is required for a panel size and the components. And again, as TW mentioned, if you have a specific question, post it on the forum. This forum is full of excellent advice and plenty of knowledgeable people willing to help.