Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neildobson

Compactlogix With Ethernet Application

6 posts in this topic

We are quoting for a control panel upgrade which will contain a CompactLogix PLC (1769-L32E) which connects to a Red Lion G310 operator interface via ethernet. This interface offers a web server capability which we intend to use to remotely monitor machine status and for debugging. We would also like to gain access to the PLC remotely. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Red Lion operator interfaces connecting to AB equipment over ethernet? To be able to access the web server and the PLC must I set-up port forwarding and open ports to connect over the internet? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards,

>>This interface offers a web server capability which we intend to use to remotely monitor machine status and for debugging.<< I've used the Web Server facility built into the excellent Beijers range of E Terminals and it works well. It is also easy to fit an ethernet adapter to the E series or use one of the newer range (yet to try one) which comes with ethernet built in. As long as there is a driver for Ethernet CompactLogix comms, it would work well. As Mitsubishi distribute the Beijers range in the UK, it's not well know that they can talk to most other manufacturer's PLCs. Top kit, top software. Just a thought .....

Hi Neil, We communicate, no problem with a Red Lion G303 (at the time it was only unit certified for Canada). Our Panel View Plus directly controls it (set point, etc) using Modbus Ethernet. There were some start-up development issues primarily with the A-B documentation-isms. But all were solved and to date no problems. We were "forced" to use Modbus Ethernet, as it was a 3rd party, turn-key system. Good Luck, Brian

Perhaps you could also post you question over at plc's.net..Mr. Granby the pres of red lion frequents there quite often..i am sure he could help you out.. D

Dear Neil: Rockwell does not recommend or condone the practive because it is very security weak, but if you use a router like the Linksys BEFSR841 or similiar you will find that there are about three ports {4400, 18800. ???} or something like that it has been to long and I am rusty. Which if forwarded and routed will allow remote connection like you describe. Having said that, THE DESIRED METHOD FOR REMOTE CONNECTION IS VPN. Rockwell supports and trains that you use VPN for connection between remote sites. The added security is well worth the headache in most cases. We have used PCanywhere to connect to a local machine running RSlogix and seen success with this approach as well. BobLfoot

I have used several set ups with a G3 and a ControlLogix. As far as the port forwarding you will need that to access the webserver as well as remotely updating the panel. The ports used for the web server and the remote update are both adjustable in Crimson 2.0. If the PLC and the G3 will be communicating accross the internet, you will need port forwarding for that as well. Red Lion uses the following ports for the Ethernet IP drivers: UDP: 0xAF12, 0x08AE TCP: 0xAF12 Regards, Edited by danyost