Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

What Software Do You Use?

20 posts in this topic

What spy-ware, Ad-ware, and anti-virus software do you run on your computers? I run spybot search and destroy, Ad-Aware Se and the anti-virus software that my ISP provides [Cox Cable]. I also use FireFox instead of IE since I read it was better. I have Win XP Pro SP1 and no know problems but just curious what others are running. Thanks, Bob

I use Norton for antivirus, spyware, etc. I tried to use the Cox security suite a year or so ago but even with the firewall disabled it seemed to keep me from communicating with some Ethernet processors.

TWControls, Thanks for you reply. I had Norton a couple years ago but removed it for some reason that I do not remember now. I think it was causing problems with Rockwell Software. Thanks Again, Bob O.

Never had problems with Norton and Rockwell software. I did have problems with Macafee and RsNetworks (I think it was RsNetworks). But I just use the Anti-virus and none of the other things such as firewalls. I know software companies don't like to get in the middle of endorsing or condemning other softwares, but I do think it would be nice if they would say which software their software has been tested to work with. Especially with the all these new firewall softwares coming out. Personally, I just don't use firewall softwares, but there may come a time I have to.

I use Adaware SE, Mcaffee Enterprise 8.0i, and Mcaffee Desktop Firewall. You should keep your computer up to date. You said you are running SP1, SP2 has tons of updates and fixes for windows vulnerabillities. (Like the WMF exploit.)

Camel, I have been lazy in keeping my home computer up to date and you are correct that I should keep it up to date. I will look into SP2 or what ever the latest version is. Thnaks, Bob

I have used McAfee software for quite some time with out problems but about six months ago I purchaced the latest version because McAfee were telling me the version I was using was out of date. Now if I use Mitsubishi G X Developer my computer will lockup during the startup of the software. So now I have a situation ware my desktop computer is protected by McAfee but my laptop is not. Thats progress! Dont think I can get a viras from a P.L.C. Rodney Edited by Rodney

They were probably just trying to sell you something. The version (8.0i Enterprise) I use is quite old but works just fine. As a matter of fact, the Army gave me that copy.

I use the free AVG virus scanner, Firefox, Zone Alarm, Adaware, e-Trust Pest Patrol and Spybot.

Now slow down SW. I am extremely computer unfriendly. Can you specify what each of those are for or are they all virus programs?

AVG - Virus Scanner Firefox - Web explorer (use in lieu of IE) Zone Alarm - is a customisable firewall - very user friendly (hinders hacking attempts) you can grant internet access temporaily/none for programs which try to access the internet. (Especially the sneaky ones that do it with out your knowing....) Adware - With the ability to scan your RAM, Registry, hard drives, and external storage devices for known data-mining, advertising, and tracking components, Ad-Aware SE easily can clean your system, allowing you to maintain a higher degree of privacy while you surf the Web. Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you didn't intentionally install, if your browser crashes, or if you browser start page has changed without your knowing, you most probably have spyware. But even if you don't see anything, you may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging that is silently tracking your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile of you that will be sold to advertisement companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm in trying to see if something snooped into your computer, too :) eTrust® PestPatrol® Anti-Spyware is your comprehensive anti-spyware solution. It detects and removes a wide variety of spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and weakened system performance. I use the three above spyware scanners above because i have found on occasion that where one might not detect it another might. For example i had one case where one could detect but not remove the pest, whereas the other could.

Ok, thanks. May look into some of them

Spybot, Ad-Aware, NOD32 virus scanner, Sygate fire wall - no further updates available as they have been bought by Symantec - dang!!!! NOD32 has not missed a virus in the wild for many years now - check at vb.com - and runs really quickly. I hardly even notice when it is running - Norton used to slow the computer down something fierce. It is not expensive either.

Personnaly AND professionnaly I'm a sort'a rebel to what I'm been told by the giants of the indutrie of PC protection. First I never auto-update nor update any WinPC at all unless I have to. Second I never install any security system and I disable everything Redmont flashes at me. Safety is my own business and I will not let them give me a false sens of security by outsourcing my machines to the ones who are often suspected of being the cause and want to be viewed as the solution. Antivirus running - No way Anti anything - No way What I do is discipline. 1: You send me anything that has to be opened and runned then you best send me a notice prior to the actual file 'cause if you don't it going fast in the garbage bin. 2: I NEVER open anything from the Web 3. I have Zone Alarm and my routers are not responding to anything 4. I reconfigure my servers to listen to non-standard ports. For instance I have my web pages linked to port 8085 (or something like that) So if you just surf you ain't gonna reach me EVER. 5. I use less popular web tools Firefox / Thunderbird 6: I run once a week AddAware and the Secuser online disk scanner. 7. I never do any auto-xxxstuff from vendors software IF I need them I run them at my choosing time. Never had any problems with my 7 PC at home and My 3 Servers at the shop. I will use a baseball bat to convince my guys that they do not install any crap on my PCs. I have on dedicated PC at home for such thing as Kazza and the likes. I had it Gost and once a month I format the drives and revive there brain. I'm certainly lucky but I've had more problems when I was using them security warez than what I'm doing now. I would still be running DOS if the newer warez did not put a gun to my head and would still run under DOS :)

Pierre - you obviously came to the game late or you'd be touting CPM. -- LOL

Gosh dern it....I HATE to support Bill Gates, but I will this time because it's FREE. Windows released Defender. It's not too bad.... http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx I assume once it goes away from BETA they will probablly charge $49.95 for it...get it FREE while you can. -

Guess it is time to weigh in. I use Windows XP SP1 with all latest security patch. I run Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Yahoo Anti-Spy. For Antivirus I run Symantec Corporate. I am still using IE. Tried Netscape a while back and still kept having to launch IE for some sites and functions. Does Firefox work in all cases or do you still need IE occaisionally?

I might as well answer too: None. But contrary to the maniac above without any such software, I'm not writing this on a Windows PC. I'm writing it on my iBook... I also have a PC dualbooting Linux and Windows (including the normal protection programs like firewall etc), and a Linux server. At work it's 100% Windows though, and I haven't heard any PLC manufacturer at all offering multiplatform programming tools.

I have had to use IE on occassion when Firefox didn't work. The tabs are really the only thing that I like better with Firefox. I heard IE 7 is supposed to have tabs now though too.