Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asim_rana

"out Of Buffer Memory" Fault In Contrologix

8 posts in this topic

We are using redundant contollogix for two different applicators PCS & SIS on an offshore plant. Some of feedbacks are coming in PCS system which we had to make available in SIS similarly a few trip commands are in SIS which needs to be in PCS. We are using ENBT/A cards in both systems and both are on a same workgroup. Now I had added ENBT & processor of SIS under ENBT of PCS system similarly ENBT & processor of PCS under ENBT of SIS. Now when I apply message command i am getting data fine. The only issue is that ENBT & Controller are having faulty status & fault code is 16#0301 connection request error out of buffer memory I had even configured it through RS networx for Ethernet but fault is still there due to which iam getting I/Os not responding error. But message command is working fine and we are getting data but fault is there. Any help Thanks

You are runnig out of unconnected buffers please see this technote G20181 - ControlLogix unconnected buffers or use Common Procedures manual for instructions on how to increase amount of unconnected buffers Edit: I did not catch that this is redundand system - redundancy simply does not support any I/O or produced/consumed over ethernet. Edited by Contr_Conn

you need to increase the number of unconnected buffers which is by default 10 in a CLX CPU. you can increase this number upto 40 this is done by sending a generic CIP MSG to the CPU itself see the above technote also you cannot do produce-consume tags over etherNET/IP in a redundant system.so you have to use messaging only regards Nilesh"SURYA

Do you have any produced and consumed tags? This is not supported in a redundant Ethernet setup. Only Controlnet supports produced and consumed tags in a redundant setup. This will give you the same error and sounds more like your problem since your I/O light is blinking If you are not using any produced and consumed tags how many messages do you have? Edit - Didn't see Contr_Conn edit. He already stated the same thing. And I think just having the redundant processor in the I/O configuration will do this but I am not sure. I have never used a redundant Ethernet setup. Maybe Contr_Conn can verify this Edited by TWControls

TW - Redundancy simply can do produced/consumed only over controlnet. Ethernet will not work. With L55 and ver 13 you can have 2 processors in each redundancy rack and use P/C over the backplane. Ethernet with redundancy simply does not support any scheduled connection. Edited by Contr_Conn

Just to clarify, a scheduled connection would include having the redundant processor off of the ENBT in the I/O configuration. Is that correct or is it only if you schedule a produced or consumed tag?

TW: - with redundancy you don't do produce and consume between pair of redundand processors - redundancy module does all crossloads. Just treat it as one device. If you want to produce and consume data between one redundancy system to another (or just a single processor) - then Ethernet will not work. You can't add anything below ENBT in I/O configuration. Once you add a remote ENBT or processor, consumer side will try to establish connection and genereate error immidiately, before a consumer tag created. I/O configuration is not a place holder for modules, by putting module there you are building connection. All illegal connections will have errors. Technically any communication module should not be in I/O configuration if it is not involved in I/O control or used on the consumer side. Edited by Contr_Conn

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I understood. Here a lot of people having this problem