Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sp4rky

Harting Connector Help

3 posts in this topic

hi guys i've got a little job to do where i need to link a photo diode amp unit to a control station. The problem i have got is that the customer would like us to use Harting connectors. Although i have used them in the past i have never had to spec them !!!! I'm looking at needing a 220v Live, neutral & Earth to be linked, a 24Vdc + & - supply and an analogue 0-10v single signal wire (!!! the reason for the single analogue input is our i/o homebrew module only has a single input terminal type architecture (mainly used in digital inputs)). Would you suggest using seperate plugs cable ways? I would like to do it in one plug/socket arrangement because i am limited for space on the amplifier module enclosure!! Can the harting plugs be used with different wire/cable types ?? Ordinarily i would have used a beldon screened cable for the analogue signal, then used standard singles for 24 & 240V supplies Any ideas are welcome sp4rky

just get the catalogue and browse through. it probably doesn't have to be harting, everyone makes them (weidmuller, wieland, ilme, phoenix contact...) and they are all interchangable (you can take wieland insert and put it into harting shell etc.). you can get segmented inserts so one is higher density, lower current rating, while other has fewer but bigger size pins etc. you can even mix electrical and pneumatic lines. google for ODU MAC connectors, for example: http://www.epn-online.com/page/11218/modul...opto-etc-.html# when you are dealing with analog, some caution is required to reduce noise. separate as far as possible from power terminals, try to use current signals where possible, use separate shielded cables for analog (and twisted pair where possible) , strip shield only as much as neccecary for making solid connection, don't strip it 2". etc. if you are forced to use voltage signal, you might try to put capacitor across analog input if signal is slow changing or resistor if use of capacitor is not acceptable. just read how much transducer can put out. if nececary you can convert voltage to current before connector etc. hope this helps.

thanks panic mode for the info i will have a look at the catalogue and also see if i can speak to a representative also thanks again sp4rky