Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pete3589

Displaying Ip Address For Hmi And Processor

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there is any way to display the IP for both the Panelview Plus and Compactlogix processor on the HMI using RS View ME? One would think there would be a simple way to do this, but I cant seem to figure out any way to do it. I have an information screen which is used to display system diagnostics, and this would be a nice addition to that. If anyone has ever been able to do this, I would be appreciative for some advice.

This Knowledge Base note tells you how to do it for the 1756-ENBT: Obtaining Ethernet IP information from a 1756-ENET I think this method will also work for the L32E. If it does then: This MSG will pull back the IP Address for the LocalENB port and place it into a Processor tag. From there it is simple to display it on the HMI. If you create the HMI in the IO tree then it will be easy to create another MSG routed to the PanelView port, and pull back the IP info for that port too.

Technote above works for 1756-ENET only For newer stuff like 1756-ENBT and L3xE use this technote: G82553071 - Accessing IP Information on the 1756-ENBT Module via Ladder Logic

Contr_comm, Thanks for the update. The original question had me scratching my head looking for a GSV instance that might do the trick, and the tech note I originally listed was the first one I found when searching KnowledgeBase. Question. Could I also extract the IP information for other nodes (eg a PanelViewPlus) that exist on that network?

Can't verify to confirm - don't have PV+, but most likely yes, this ENBT technote should work with all Ethernet/IP capabile devices. I know it works with 1794-AENT. Use this link to find CIP message reference: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...95?OpenDocument Edited by Contr_Conn

For some reason, this is not working for me. I set up a MSG instruction in ladder logic, configure the CIP as shown, and set up the destination variable, but I get no action. I am assuming it is something in the communcations tab that I am missing (since it neglects to mention anything about that in the knowledgebase article here) My communications path i point to is a LocalENB. Is this ok? Does the fact that my processor is a 1769 (compactlogix) and not a 1756 (contrologix) make this not work?

What message error code you got? You have to point path to the device you want to get IP address from Local ENBT: 1,<Local ENBT slot> Remote ENBT: 1,<Local ENBT Slot>,2,<IP ADDRES>

Works fine on my CompactLogix. Message Type=CIP Generic Service Type=Get Attribute Single Class=f5 Instance=1 Attribute=5 Destination SINT[22] Path=LocalENB On thing that will cause an error in doing this is the Ethernet port must be available before you fire the message. If the message is fired on power up, it will cause an error. I do a GSV Class MODULE, Instance LocalENB, Attribute EntryStatus, Destination INT. Then do a MEQ on your destination with a Mask of -4096 and a Compare of 16384. Put this before your message

Ok, I got it to work on my system for the processor using TWControls method (thanks!) I didnt realize that you couldn't just fire the message immediately. I am trying to get this to work with a panelview and im having problems. Whenever I add the panelview to the I/O configuration tree so I can select it as the path for my MSG instruction it always faults out. Strangely, it does actually return an IP value back to my SINT[22] that I created. Has anyone been successful in adding a Panelview to the I/O tree? If so what settings did you use. Also, when i change the IP while the program is running the new IP does not update on the screen (unless I download the code again). To reset this and have the function fire again, would I have to change the .dn and .en bits to their original state? Or could I just put a bit before the functions that would break the continuity of the ladder code to have it reset.

First - if message returns an error - what is an error code? It can be thousands of reasons. Error code and Extended error code should point you to the right direction. Second: Do not add PV to I/O configuration, set path manually 1,<ENBT SLOT>,2,<PV IP>. Third: To re-trigger the message you should change rung message condition (timer or any other event) Message will be executed only once every time when rung condition goes OFF to ON DO NOT touch .DN or .ER bits !!! This will lock the messages and will cause unpredictable operation. Edited by Contr_Conn

Contr_Conn - If he fires the message unconditionally it will fire on power up while the ENBT is doing its self test. It won't respond during this time. He should get ERR "1F" ExERR "204". Error processing connection related service. pete3589 - All this can be done but may I ask why you would want to do this. You should not be changing the IP addresses frequently. You should really be able to put static values for your display of IP Address. The screen capture I posted does not actually even retrieve the IP Address. It sets the IP Address on power up. We do this so if maintenance changes the ENBT, the configuration can be set by cycling the power. Kind of a backplane based BOOTP Are you changing the IP Address frequently? Edited by TWControls

I just want to display the current IP for both the panelview and the processor. I do not plan on changing the IPs. However, my PLC projects go on industrial compressors. Usually these are stand alone machines that are operated locally (at the panel), but sometimes companies will have AB capabilities on site and will change IP's and such to allow for the machines to be controlled remotely or just to have the data show up on a DCS or something similar. For my appilication, I do not want to set IP's every time the processor boots up, therefore I need to modify this somehow from your example TW. What happens is the end user may change IP's to fit their system (which is fine) and not use the local IP that i set so they can see the data remotely through their network. However, when things go wrong and I get a call, it would be best to know if the IP is the same as what it was when I programmed it, or if it changed. This is because the person who is operating the machine on the floor is not the person who set up the remote comms. Also, some of the other controls engineers get special requests for IP's from customers. If I get a call asking for help, it would be nice to be able to see what the IP was set at by the other engineer, since people forget these things, or do not keep a copy of the IP's. If i send some Panelview software and they overwrite the Enterprise file, if i do not have the proper IP in there, they could lose comms. At that point, if no one has the IP of the processor then it could turn into an ordeal. Contr_Comm: I am not sure how to do this. The path for my processor is LOCAL ENBT. Now the processor has always just appeared on the I/O configuration for me, but the panelview does not. I added it and gave it the IP that it was set at, but when i go online i get I/O faults and get connection errors. My question would be, how do I set this manually like you describe "set path manually 1,<ENBT SLOT>,2,<PV IP>." I do not see the Panelview so I dont know what slot it is in. Edit: Also if i need to enter the IP of the HMI here, what is going to happen when I change the IP on the panel itself? Will this value update and show a new value when I trigger the message again? Edited by pete3589

pete3589: You really should take a Logix class, it's like doing integrals witout basic math. Message Path 101: TYPE PATH MANNUALY, do not use Browse. Example1 - Message to Local ENBT: Processor in slot 5, ENBT slot 7 Path 1,7 Example 2 - Message to remote PV (192.168.1.5) connected to the local ENBT in Example 1 : 1,7,2,192.168.1.5 May be TW can explain better. Edited by Contr_Conn

If I manually type in this value for an IP rather than using browse, then use the MSG function to display the IP it will work, and that's fine. NOW whe someone changes the IP of the Panelview from the terminal itself, I still have the manually entered value in the Logix program in the MSG code. Then I get all sorts of Communication errors because now the IP's aren't the same and its not communicating. Manually entering the value works for that one IP only. This defeats the purpose of displaying it on the screen if it is only going to be able to display just that one particular IP, if this were the case, i would just put it in a text display on the panelview like TW suggested. The point of all of this is to have the IP display no matter what it is changed to without having to change the settings in the logix program. This works for the processor and i think it should work for the panelview as well.

Let me clarify. My application sets the IP. The message is the same. Get Attribite Single reads the IP Address. Set Attribute Single sets the IP Address.

Right i saw this and in the end I decided to add a user controlled bit that would basically act as a refresh button. If the processor was restarted or changed in any way, the user could hit this button and fire the instruction to get the IP again without having to alter Logix. I have a feeling this is only going to work for the processor and not the HMI since it appears that you need to enter an IP to have the message routed to it. If someone changes the IP of the HMI from the terminal, now the connection is broken in Logix, and will not respond, so getting the IP in this fashion for the HMI isnt going to work.

Maybe you should look at tackling the Panelview Plus a different way. Leave the ENBT method as is It has been a while since I used a Panelview Plus, but perhaps there is an interal tag on the Panelview Plus for the IP Address. I know you can do this in the Standard Panelview.