Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neildobson

Fx1/2/3 Programming Port

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to change the baud rate of the FX programming port? I have the new FX3U CPU and would like to connect a peripheral device (E-series terminal) directly to the programming port and take advantage of the higher baud rate offered. I've noticed in GX Developer the software connects to the CPU at 112K without any adjustment. However when I connect the E-terminal it only works at 9.6K. I guess GXDEV changes the baud rate temporarily whilst downloading/monitoring etc? I've read some of the new FX3U communications manual and it doesn't mention anything about connecting directly to the programming port and I don't believe setting D8120 has any effect on the prog port but i'm not really sure. Help as usual would be appreciated. Thanks.

Even if you succeed, you will see very little (if any) difference operating the display. Inconvenience of future maintenance (non-default settings) does not worth it. D8120 has nothing with programming port, as you correctly mentioned. You have to reconfigure the PLC communication settings. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Have you tried to change E-terminal RS-port speed? I think FX-driver default is 9,6k.

I've tried changing the baud rate of the e-terminal but I don't think this works as the FX prog port defaults to 9.6k. In any case as Sergei suggested, perhaps the baud rate should be left as default in case anyone connects to the PLC in future. I just wanted to increase speed so that the terminal would update a bit quicker if I intended to display lots of live variables and perhaps scroll some messages etc.

I am not serial communication expert... I have had similar problems and I have solved this problem like this: I tried to "pack" all signals/bits/regs as tight as possible (according to pages). Cummunication is faster, because all needed data fits to same package or the needed package amount keeps as minimum as possible. My fist programs to E-terminals were terrible. One page I had for example D0, D10000, D500, M0 and M9000 series bits. It is faster to use one section (or pack your registers) in each page e.g. D6000-D6100. Terminal need always to update whole area between thr 1st I/O / reg./bit to last one (D0-D10000 or D6000-D6100) even if you have used only one register?? That slowers terminal down if you have one register there and another far away from the previous... Ok, this needs more PLC-program pre-desing. Other thing is terminal HW, it could be faster. Check attachment... fxcpu32.pdf

Actually, the latest E-series FX driver doesn't have the new settings to take advantage of the FX3U's new serial port speed. Once they release and updated driver, you should have no more problems. You also cannot use FX3U extended addressing in the E-terminals yet. You cannot access a bit in a word (D100.A), you cannot access U\G for direct buffer memory address, and you cannot access the extended T, D, R, and ER areas yet. Beijers is working on it, and hope to have updates shortly. Keep trying the update terminal drivers via the Internet and see when the FX driver gets replaced.