Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest billgo84

Beckhoff PLC

7 posts in this topic

I have a small task of making some programming changes to a Beckhoff controller but have never even seen one of these things. My programming experience consists of nearly every family of Allen Bradley, Siemens, Modicon, Omron, GE, ABB and quite a few others. It surprises me that there are SO many small market controllers that are in the market place. Anyway, is anyone here familiar with the Beckhoff controllers?? :*-(

I've used the Beckhoff TwinCAT quite extensively. Its a very powerful system. If you are still interested, I can may be able to help or point you to the right place.

Yes, Beckhoff is POWERFUL softPLC system. I have also used it. It is a bit overwhelming at the beginning but it can be learned quickly. It is based on IEC 61131 programming languages for ease of learning the language. Siemens, A-B, Modicon, etc most new PLCs use IEC 61131 to some degree. If you have questions, post and I am sure we here should be able to help out. Adam

You can donwload a trial version (30 days valid) of TwinCAT from www.beckhoff.com

Is it possible to convert Siemens S7 logic into the Beckhoff SoftPLC environment? I have some S7-317PN code that I'd like to migrate over to a Beckhoff TwinCat PLC system? Any ideas?

S7 SCL can be ported to TwinCat ST. Both conform to IEC61131-3 ST (I have heard that there are minor differences though), and as they are text-based, you can even copy-paste directly from one editor to the other.S7 GRAPH should be the same as IEC61131-3 SFC, but you cannot easily copy-paste from one editor to the other. For the other S7 Languages - STL, LAD, FBD, HiGraph, CFC - there is no 100% compatible Twincat/IEC61131-3 language.

Here is a 10 minutes introduction that help get you started: