Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Cpu Usage

6 posts in this topic

Ok computer gurus.. When looking at the task manager in my new Dell laptop and my older desktop I have a big difference in memory usage for the same files. Example RSlinx.exe 412K on desktop but 3,312K in laptop. This is just one example of how different the memory usage is between the two for the same file. I am doing a disk defrag right now but not sure it is going to do much. I started to look at this because what I run some code in VB the laptop would hit 100% on the CPU and the code that I think is causing it doesn’t phase my desktop cpu usages. Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Are both PC's using the same Operating System?? What type of application are you doing with VB?? Does the CPU hit 100% right when you start the VB program? ....My memory usage for RsLinx is at 21,324K

Windows XP Pro on both with SP1 on desktop and SP2 on laptop "I assume on laptop since IT set it up" VB6 hits 56% when started on laptop then drops to 0-4%. I am running a watered down Sams version on my desktop and it hits 22%. I am doing testing on the ping code for loss of connection and it runs in a 5 sec. timer. Side note... after disk defrag RSLinx.exe went to 13,200K on laptop. Thanks, Bob

rslinx starts out at about 4k on my machine, then when I open RSWho, it jumps to 12k, then everytime I click on a network the memory goes up. So, I think for two installations to be compared, they would have to have exactly the same drivers configured.

Main thing that springs to mind is a cute thing called DEP (data execution prevention) which is only on XP SP2 and as the name suggests, it fights off applications running in areas of memory it feels the apps shouldnt be using. You can try turning off DEP by changing the line in your boot ini to read something like: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=alwaysoff As opposed to "/NoExecute=optIn". Check with IT that this is not against your policy though. If it helps then you can look at excluding it from DEP. Mine runs at 13,080k. Could your RSLinx on the laptop be doing more? Maybe you have more physical and virtual memory available on your laptop and the apps are taking what they need, whereas on your desktop the apps may be constrained???

I diabled DEP but got an error RsvcHost.exe 0x1395d718. I need to look this one up and also look at the memory. Thanks Again for the help. Bob