Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
navillusi

Dh+ Network Load

4 posts in this topic

I have a modification to do to an existing AB system. There are approx 10 PLCs (CLX and SLC) connected on a DH+ network, which are communicating with each other and a top end SCADA system which communicates with all of them (again using the DH+ network) I have to add another PLC which is designed to collect alarm data from all of the PLC's, again using the DH+ network Is there any methods, or software available which can analyse the traffic on the DH+ network to ensure that there is enough space for me to add these 20+ extra message instructions? The last thing I want to do is cause the network to fail Regards

It won't "fail", ie stop. But a overloaded network could get timeout warnings. I have no idea of your network is even close to that limit now. You can connect with a PC and RSLinx, while autobrowsing or online with a SLC and look at RSLinx's driver diagnostics dialog or set up a DH+ diagnostic file in one of the SLCs to get an idea of the number of failed message attempts. (I don't recall CLX's method of diagnostics but I assume its similar). If your using one DH+ network for real time I/O messaging (handshaking interlocks between two piecs of equipment as an example) you may want to segregate those into their own seperate network. Otherwise, if its just status, production counts, etc., I would try it and look for any "complaints" from any of the nodes about timeouts.

S&S Technolgies used to have software to monitor load on DH+. I have used it in the past and it worked very well. If you are approaching 70% bandwidth usage on DH+, you will experience comm loss. It only worked with their version of the KT card. I don't know if it is still available. Check their website. Maybe it is still there. Edited by HalBishop

You can use a HMI in order to scan only alarm tags (I.E. WW InTouch or RSView) or even in excel, using an OPC Server like Kepware. Here in my job, we are monitoring all network using WW InTouch and this network is about 60 nodes. Edited by guillencito