Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camel

What Type Of Os Do You Prefer?

Which OS do you prefer   10 votes

1. 1. What type of Operating System do you prefer?

• Unix based
    • Windows based

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

Just curious about what other people think........

Wow, does it really boil down to just those two choices? What about Mac? Aren't there any other competitive OSs?

It depends on what I am doing. If it's SERVER based, I.E. file server = Samba / Linux web server = Apache / Linux database server = MySQL / Linux backup server = Rsync / Linux firewall = IPTables / Linux email server = Exim / Linux spam blocker = Spammassin / Linux If I need to communicate with the rest of the world...Windows XP. emailing, spreadsheets, PLC PROGRAMMING software.... MAC OS 10 is pretty much Unix/Linux now. It's very stable. Best thing Apple did with the MAC in OS 10...

As has already been said, Mac OS X is based on Darwin, a BSD clone, and thus it is "UNIXy".The OSs possibly missing are *-DOS and Mac OS (pre-X). I don't think we need to count them, do we? I am myself split between OS X and Linux, so I of course voted for the first choice.

I wasn't trying to specify a specific OS but rather a TYPE of OS. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/ Edited by Camel

how about embeded?

At this moment I am forced to use Windoze because there is no development software, that i know off, for linux. Linux is most certainly the way forward. Does any body know of a linux project dedicated to development of plc programs?

Most embedded OS's are based on Unix or Windows. About the development software check out: http://puffinplc.control.com/

Camel, Do you know where I can get a development tool for Mitsubishi PLC's? \

So far I've seen good and bad things with both windows and linux. Linux (just like any unix) is way to complicated. There is no standard other than that every little thing is done diferently (total chaos and anarchy...). I remember my early attempts back in 1992/93. I was frustrated to death with stupid help system, man pages etc. Got some books all of them ware horrible but I wasn't about to give up. Help was something one should easily get online but it was never there, gurus ware rude, hardware support was bad, seting up X was real pain etc. Once you got it working, you had to deal with other nightmare(s), like dialup setup just to name one (after being forcefed with vi editor). Best applications ware crude, games ware type of old arcade games. Most impressive thing that one could run on Linux was screensaver. Nothing interesting. A while later, number of distributions took linux forward with simpler installation process, more applications more old style games and more screen savers. Hardware support somewhat improved and one could choose different window manager. There was few emulators. Linux comunity and fanatism continued while my enthusiasm was getting thinner. Linux had some advantages like better multitasking, stability etc. Windows was so bad at the time that even clumsy linux was possible threat. As a result windows versions improoved. The yucky Win3.xx was finaly history, Win9x came out. as the catching up game continued, both systems continued to improve. Linux got office, windows got option of changing display resolution without rebooting etc. Today Linux is stronger than ever and Windows is better than ever. One has variety of essential productivity tools (text and graphic editors) programming tools (beside C, one can also enjoy Borland products), support of removable media is better and pain of manual mounting is as good as gone. The other can finaly change IP address without need to reboot and more importantly one doesn't have to reboot or reinstall OS on regular basis. Although improvemnts are big, both sides still have long way to go. I guess we can call it evolution. In the age of communication Linux is playing big role with it's servers and many services that simply didn't exist before became available (affordable). I am (personal) computer user and I although I like to fiddle with things I simply don't have time anymore to entertain myself with linux. It might be better desktop solution than it ever was, and open source is wonderful concept (or any open architecture), but Linux still has long way to go to get user friendliness. For example application installation has to be simpler so everyone can do it (like my grandma or babysitter). After all they have no problem double clicking on any Setup.exe or just inserting CD into computer. Windows lack this open concept. Most interesting files such those created by users are often stored in propriatery formats which is not good if you plan to use those files in few years (how about 20 or even 2000?) unless you do continuous maintenance and file conversion. Books, scrolls and cave paintings have been known to survive for long periods, why can't my digital addressbook? Another thing which is probably true idea behind this topic is user applications. After all we don't buy computers just to throw money out of window. We wont to be able to do something with it (and make more money). So far products I am using on regular basis in my line of work are made by AB, Autodesk, Atlas Copco, Fanuc, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Pilz, Sick, Omron, etc. Others are in same position. So far I'm not aware of posibility to run those programs on Linux so any preference is limited to what is useful for me. For years this was Windows. Linux does have increased presence (networking products etc.) but it's not close and personal like Windows. I guess this clearly shows what a bit of healthy competition can do so I'm thankful for both.