Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Informing Operators Of Program Changes That Are Made

4 posts in this topic

How do some of you go about informing operators of changes that have been made to machines? If it is a major change that requires the operator to do something different or adds new features, I go to each operator and explain the changes. This is not a problem. But many of these changes are so minor, internal, or something I am putting in for a project that is coming up that there is really no explanation needed. I have a screen that comes up that tells them that program changes have been made and to reenter their settings when this occurs. Every time the operators all end up coming in and asking what changes have been made. What are some ways to handle this? Should I post the latest revision notes on the touch screens? I already post major changes and have explanations of how to operate them, but I try to keep the latest major changes posted as long as I can so that some of our floaters that don’t operate the machines everyday can still view them.

I use a letter size sign (landscape usually) that says "ATTENTION OPERATORS!" in large bold text at the top with a description of the changes followed by a few lines for complaints, comments or suggestions, so the guy on nights can leave me a nasty gram or a complement. I try to use operator friendly terminology. I don't explain the change to the first operator, I just hand them the sign while I make the changes. If they don't understand the sign, I rewrite it until they do. Once the sign is good, I'll explain everything to the person in as much detail as they can handle. I tape the sign on the control panel where the operators/relievers cannot miss it. With RSView, I have used the HMI to provide this information in addition to the printed sign, only because its so easy to do. I kinda like the idea of having a screen in a PanelView that says "PROGRAM HAS CHANGED Please refer to <location of printed note>". You could just set a bit in the PLC after each modification that would cause this screen to be displayed every shift change, (or whenever the PV is idle?) for the first few days after each change occurs. I like paper notes, because there is no limitation on the format, the operators can each get their own copy if they want, and it's pretty obvious when anyone approaches the controls and there's a big piece of paper taped up there, that they should read it and understand it. If I make changes that affect the function of any control or entry field, I intentionally use different function keys, and change the appearance of the screen or terminology to accent that. This way, an operator's old keystroke habit doesn't cause anything unexpected to happen. I try to limit the frequency of the changes that affect operator controls, instead of limiting the scope. It's easier for an operator to get used to a major change once, than to deal with four or five small changes once a week. Kinda like rearrainging the keys on my keyboard. If it has to happen, okay, but don't do it every week if you can do it all once and be done with it. Just my 2 cents Paul C.

We Have Software Logbooks and stringently keep up to date records on each change. If it's a small change, then Chances are operators won't see it or notice it unless it's displayed on the HMI. I like to cover myself though and Forward on a E-MAil with the new Revision, the line effected, the software change (Breif Description of the cghange and how it works) and Clarification for testing. The problem I find is that for bigger changes, the Mails become too long winded and operators often don't have the Patience to read them. one of the down points of bing at the end of a phone line.

We keep strict records of revisions made too. Even down to changes in description in a program. Take one of the projects I am working on right now. It is a major change to one of our machines that probably won't be complete until July. I am making more of program structure changes right now to prepare for the upgrade. The operators will not see the changes until then. In July I will have good documention and laminated change of operation sheets to post on the machines. But since I am making these changes offline when I download the "internal" upgrades I have to inform them so they can check their settings since they may have changed from the offline copy I was working on to what they are currently manufacturing. There isn't any change to the operation of the machine. I have added a Program Change page to the touch screens to show the latest changes to machines in addition to my Machine Operation Change page. I will see how that works