Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

WIFI access point and client kit

9 posts in this topic

When we start commissioning our installations which are connected through a wired ethernet network, 9 out of 10 times the network isn't commisioned yet when we are starting up. I am looking for a small portable (travel) kit including WIFI access point to put in our panel and client for my laptop in one package. That way I don't have to run forth and back with all my stuff all the time to configure or control things, I can just plug in the AP in the panel I need to be and stay at one place with my gear. I already have a USB client and can also buy a AP separate but I'm looking for some all-in-one kit, preferably as simple and small as possible. Thanks for any suggestion.

Just to clarify something. You are saying this is just temporary and only as a programming hookup. You aren't going to do any I/O messaging over it

No that's right. Just for commissioning, configurating stuff and testing my monitoring system. In the mean time I have found this one Asus WL-330G. It supports power over ethernet which is perfect in my case. You can select if you want to use it as client or Access point so I could have two.

That is a very nice compact unit, but where did you see that it is power over ethernet In their specs it says This would lead me to believe it is actually USB powered which is more common. Edit Just downloaded the user manual and it is actually USB power. I still like it. Much smaller than the Linksys ones I use but they are all getting much smaller everyday Edited by TWControls

Hmm I see what you mean. I actually didn't read it there either but at first I spotted the WL-300g first which is somewhat bigger but it clearly states it's supporting "power over LAN (IEEE802.3af)". I thought it's successor would surely do to. Now I've read some other reviews ot the WL-300g which prove the contrary so I'm not sure either anymore...

What type of power do you have available in most of your control panels? Do you use power over ethernet currently, what voltage?

No I don't use it currently but I thought it saves another power adapter on the pile I already got. I have 230VAC sockets and alternatively 24VDC or 9VDC. But if I have to use an adapter so be it. I like the WL-330 better than the WL300 I think. Might I order one I'll let you know it goes or maybe you will beat me first !?

Don't go getting mad at me if you blow it up but.... Most of the Dc adapters are either 9 or 12 VDC so you can probably hook them into your 9Vdc power supply. Our access points were added later to junctions that had 24Vdc Network switches in them. Since we had no other power available and our access points were 12Vdc (I think, might be 9Vdc) we figured what the heck, might as well try 24Vdc on them. They were cheap and it wouldn't hurt to fry one. They have been working fine for about 1-1/2 years like that. Thats a Linksys Access Point, can't vouch for any others but I wouldn't consider Linksys high end equipment.

Well if it comes with an adapter so be it, I have got a 230VAC socket in every panel so that's OK. I'm going to Germany monday so I will see if I can find it in a shop this weekend. Otherwise I'll order it at a webshop and use it next time.