tashinz

CX-Supervisor runtime host connection change

8 posts in this topic

I have created SCADA application in CX-Supervisor 1.25 which connects to CJ1M-CPU11 with Ethernet unit ETN21 built in CPU unit. customer wanted to connect SCADA on laptop computer with PLC direct, without the ethernet switch. this works well. but now, they want an option to connect PLC and laptop computer to ethernet switch in the office. since PLC's ip address 172.25.0.200 is fixed, if their ethernet network is different this won't work. Now, there is a way to change PLC's ip address through SCADA runtime (right click, chose I/O table) and that changes are saved in the PLC. also there is a way to change host PLC settings from SCADA runtime (network configuration tool) but those changes can't be saved. with every new start of SCADA application host PLC settings are like those defined in development project. maybe someone know the solution, how can I change the host PLC communication settings from runtime project and save it within the runtime project? thanks in advance.

Hello tashinz, I'm afraid to say, that there is no way of saving the changes made in the run-time environment into the developement project. Regards anonymous

I totally misunderstood the above so nevermind my previous post Now I have read it, I understand the problem. You can also look into solving it the other way around, temporarily change the laptop NIC settings while using CXS, and have it match the IP range of the CPU. I use Netswitcher for this purpose. You can switch between preset network profiles on the fly, without restarting windows within seconds. It has heaps of configurable options. By the way, why can't the PLC IP adress be changed permanently ?

Hello PdL, Apparently, it's a 'security' thing, whereby the original developement project will always remain in the state as was shipped by the developer. That way, (I guess), if something were to catastrophically fail within the system, the integrity of the project would remain intact and the reason for the failure could be apportioned fairly. Hope this (sort of) helps explain without getting into too much detail. Regards anonymous

Yeah I figured but as the TS didn't mention it I just wanted to know.

if i understood previous posts there is no other way than to connect CX-Supervisor and PLC than 1-1. only, if the office ethernet has the IP from the same group as one defined in PLC and SCADA project only then they can plug PLC and laptop with CX-Supervisor runtime to the office ethernet switch? correct me if i'm wrong? thanx.

On 17/01/2006 at 3:22 PM, tashinz said:

I have created SCADA application in CX-Supervisor 1.25 which connects to CJ1M-CPU11 with Ethernet unit ETN21 built in CPU unit. customer wanted to connect SCADA on laptop computer with PLC direct, without the ethernet switch. this works well. but now, they want an option to connect PLC and laptop computer to ethernet switch in the office. since PLC's ip address 172.25.0.200 is fixed, if their ethernet network is different this won't work. Now, there is a way to change PLC's ip address through SCADA runtime (right click, chose I/O table) and that changes are saved in the PLC. also there is a way to change host PLC settings from SCADA runtime (network configuration tool) but those changes can't be saved. with every new start of SCADA application host PLC settings are like those defined in development project. maybe someone know the solution, how can I change the host PLC communication settings from runtime project and save it within the runtime project? thanks in advance.

hey, How can I  connect to scada on laptop with PLC directly. And have you been able to connect PLC and laptoo computer to ethernet switch? 

Sure, you can use ethernet switch, connect laptop with scada, and PLC. You can also connect laptop to PLC directly with crossover or straight ethernet cable, since ETN21 recognizes it. The above problem we solved with shipping router, so this way we separate PLC network from Office network. This needs some simple configuring of router.

regards