Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajsiyer

Transfer data between 5 Versamaxes

7 posts in this topic

Hi all... This would be the first time I am handling a GE Fanuc PLC. I am saddled with the task of developing a relatively large application(300I/o + 46 PID Loops). Further complicating my task is that there are 4 other existing Versamaxes, all networked to each other through an Ethernet hub to which my new PLC will also have to be hooked....... Then on top of all this there is Cimplicity itself. Now I am quite experienced in programming PLCs. However I'd like to know the easiest way for my new PLC to look into the 4 others and read the %m,%MW,%G and I/O variables for use in my new PLC's program. Is there any built in function for acheiving this goal? Really would be grateful to anybody who can help me out and get going. With best wishes and warm regards, RAJ S. IYER

As you have VersaMax PLCs and Ethernet, the PLCs are, hopefully communicating using Ethernet Global Data (EGD). This is very well documented in Proficy (Cimplicity) ME software. I suggest that you get a copy of one of the other PLCs and study the EGD configuration, you will need the layout of all of them anyway to tie yours into the system. I think that you will find EGD very easy and efficient to configure and use. You can use any of the data types, %I, %Q, %G, %M, %R, etc. The important thing to remember is that this is NOT AB or S, so learn what 'tools' you have from GE Fanuc, Proficy ME, EGD, and how the hardware is controlled by these tools before you "assume" anything. It is all very logical, straight forward and works very well when done as designed. You may want to start by getting your GE SSO from http://globalcare.gefanuc.com/ and searching for VersaMax and EGD to download the hardware manuals.

Thanks Russ Surely not from Mother Russia are you by any chance? Anyway, I did as you said and looked up help in ME for all that...I remain still confused...... Can you tell me Which plc's address do you use in the dialog boxes for the Produced page and the consumed page? I am led to believe that the address ranges to be given in the Produced page dialog box should be that of the local(native) PLC, whereas the address range to be filled in for the consumed page should be also that of the same PLC, i.e. not the address ranges of the remote PLC. A million thanx if you could tell me what is right. Raj S. Iyer

Not from Russa, but rUSs. The "Produced" data is the data sent to or written to the other PLCs or Groups. The "Consumed" data is read or received from the other PLCs or Groups.

I think that i can help, you can do a net with the plc, a to configure another more like master, then you can to read the 4 plcs from the new master plc, you configure an area where you put the data in each plc and the the master plc go and look in each plc the data and copy in itself in a apropiate are which you define.

Hi Mex( In the US, they call a Texan a Tex ) This is no Master/Slave scene. All 5 PLcs have massive applications and hundreds of I/os. If you,re familiar with GE Fanuc Plcs with Ethernet ports and how they transfer a lot of data then you could be of real help. Russ is right about producer and consumer concept of configuring EGD. Based on his help I did read further and have since then, improved my understanding. The concept is similar to Siemen's GD exchange over their MPI interfaces. The notation with siemens is sender/receiver whereas with GEF its Produced page and consumed page. Anyway thanx for looking in and helping out. Always happy to help you out over here Raj S. Iyer

Why don't you call a GE tech? We use GE Fanuc PLC in our plastics machinery. They're all stand alone so I can't help you with EGD by now, but me when I have problem with Fanuc PLC, I called the tech and everytime, I get results that I want. But, I got some pps file that I get on a GE Fanuc seminar that explain a bit the working process of a Fanuc PLC over ethernet with various communication mode (EGD, Serial, Master/Slave...) and if you can't get answers from GE Fanuc, I could send those files. They're in french but with drawings, you could understand I think. Edit : Hey! I found a pdf file that could interessed you! gfk1563a.pdf Edited by Wiseco