Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BadgerGuy

RS Linx to communicate with SLC 5/04

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to communicate with an SLC 5/04 it is the 1747 L542 CPU unit which has what looks to be a nine pin circular connector and an rs232 port. Can I use the RS232 port on my laptop to send and recived data? I also have an allen bradly 1784-cp10 cable sitting here as well. My next problem is which driver to use in RSLinx? I am at a total loss on this one Thanks Bill

Greetings Bill, you need a 1747-CP3 cable ... the one you already have has a 25-pin connector at the PLC end ... you need a 9-pin connector ... (basically the 1784-CP10 is for the larger PLC-5 processors) ... the CP3 is a “null-modem” cable ... pin 2-to-3, pin 3-to-2, pin 5-to-5, ... you can build your own or buy one from Radio Shack or Office Depot ... etc. ... use the RS-232/DF1 driver ... and cross your fingers while you hit the “autoconfigure” button ... post again if you have problems ... note: the RS-232 port on the SLC-5/04 can be “reconfigured” for other uses (besides programming) ... did you have to unplug something else (barcode reader, etc.) from the port? ... also, is the RS-232 port on your computer a “real-live-honest-to-goodness” serial port? ... or one of those newfangled USB-to-serial adapters? ... a 1747-CP3 and a 1756-CP3 cable are interchangeable for your purposes ... got either one of those lying around? ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

That circular connector is the DH+ port on a 5/04.

the round connection in the middle (8-pin MiniDIN) is intended mostly for connecting a cable from a PCMK card ... actually three of its pins are electrically tied to the three-pin port just above it ... both of the top two ports are for Data Highway Plus ... the top one is for "blue hose" network connections ...

I still cannot get a connection. I have the 1747 CP3 cable in and am using the RS 232 driver. I did have to unplug a panel view to plug in the cable. I switched the plc to rem (remote) and it still will not configure.

just a hunch ... DELETE the DF1 driver ... then add the 1747-PIC driver instead ... try that ... basic idea: the Panelview MIGHT have been set up for DH-485 communication ... if so, the PIC driver might work ...

Here is an update. I snopped around a bit and here is the layout. I have a panel view connected via data highway (blue hose) to the SLC 504. the DH+ light is on but the RS232 light is not on. There is an RS232 port on the panel view. Should I try to plug in on the panel view? Thanks Bill

do you have an offline .RSS file for the SLC? ... if so, you can check under the Channel Configuration feature for clues as to how the RS232 port (Channel 0) is set up ... there is NO guaratee that the offline file is the same as your current setup in the SLC ... but smart money says that it will be ... post the .RSS file or tell us what you find ... I'm offline for the rest of the day ... but there are plenty of people here who can help ... we just need to know more about your system ... good luck ...

I figured out what happened. I was trying to send and recive data that was busy trying to communicate with a bolt driver via ascii commands. the port was being used. We ended up having to purchase a PC slot card and a data highway cable at a high price. thanks for your help Bill