Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walden

Medoc 2.41 and Windows XP

22 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to run Medoc 2.41 in full screen mode when using Windows XP?

did you try to press ALT+ENTER keys? I don't have Medoc but this is common for most programs including DOS Box in Windows...

Yes, tried that - didn't work! It may not run full-sixed in XP.

Mine does, but looks ugly. I never run it in full screen. Medoc 2.41 under XP SP1 (2002).

It is not quite a full screen, but if you right click on the Medoc shortcut and open the Properties, you can select RUN MAXIMIZED under the SHORTCUT tab, then select FULL SCREEN under the OPTIONS tab. It is not pretty, but what can be expected of a DOS-based program that has been added to, but not upgraded over the years? Back when I used this program on a regular basis, I had a laptop that had an old version of Windows (Win 95 or 98) that I could start it applications in DOS mode. Good luck. I would look into the windows software if possible, it costs $, but is MUCH better than MEDOC.

Problem is that XP doesn't have a "true DOS" environment, so runs an emulator, as I understand it. I tried everything, then gave up and bought a copy of Microsoft's Virtual PC which let's me run a Windows 98 environment inside the XP operating system. Works fine for me. Files can also be transferred out of Virtual PC into the XP environment for backup if you want to. Suppose I could just use GX Developer, but I do just LOVE the old MEDOC 2.4 Other option might be to boot to a DOS operating system on a USB drive, but my laptop doesn't give me the option to do that.

Thanks for all your comments. I have so many Mitsubishi PLCs on site programmed with Medoc that I am dragging my feet to change completely to GX. But now I have XP on my office based PC, I shall have to take the leap!

Walden, what happens if you open dos box, make it full screen and then start Medoc from the prompt?

Walden, I also have dreaded the convert from medoc to gx. One thing that you can take over, is the setup of the keys. It makes it similar to medoc. Difference is that you can edit a line directly without hitting F7 first, and to convert it you press F4. Additional functions include Shift+F7 (rising edge) and Shift+F8 (falling edge). You no longer have to use pls and then use the bit pulsed.

I don't believe that I have any F1 PLCs, but I do have many F2's and up to A1S's dotted about the UK. I can go to any site armed with Medoc and work on any of them using the Medoc. Now I'll have to use different versions of GX. The best I can get with XP and Medoc is a 3/4 screen - it'll do until I embrace GX. Wish me luck!

Walden, here is an image of where to adjust the full screen/ windowed mode. After opening the progam, do you press Alt+H to enter high res mode? This will fill the display with the medoc interface...

Walden If you have F2's you will have to keep Medoc., GX Developer does not support the old F series processors. We bought a number of licences for GX Developer a couple of years ago with a view to replacing Medoc but none of our technicians has ever taken to it. It may be just down to familiarity but absolutely every single one prefers to use Medoc wherever possible even if it has to be run in a window. I invariably end up having to make any changes to FX2's etc. which are not Medoc compatible myself as nobody else will ever get round to them. Andybr.

I know it is a good quality PLC the F serie, but do you guy's never program any FX3U or system Q PLC. Only once and a while i run into a F serie PLC. And i program a lot of them.

The F series P.L.C has been around for more than 25 years and if it is not broke dont fix it. Rodney Edited by Rodney

I agree, so why you need Medoc for if it ain't broke???

FNMdeJong From my experience with F series P.L.C.s for many years I have only ever come across one faulty P.L.C. That does not include the odd faulty output relay. But even today when required I have to use Medoc to troubleshoot a control system. The problem is almost always a peripheral devise such as proximity switches, valves, mechanical problem etc. Rodney

Hí, sorry if I take out the mean subject of this forum, I have a melsec FX 48MR his battery was failed, and it have losed his program, somebody can tell me how to find a MEDOC copy that I can use? thank´s in advance.

If you type "Medoc 2.41" in your search engine you will find a number of sites which offer downloads of the various Medoc programs. Edited by Walden

sorry, I was forgeted the obvious, thank´s for remember me have a nice day

I have found on my 2k machine, if I set the properties to fullscreen mode and set the buffer in 'layout' to 80 x 25 I have a full screen as expected, previously only the top half of the screen was utilized. Edited by Crowbar

Just FYI, Medoc 2.4 and beyond ain't a dos program any more, it's a windows text mode app. If you click propertities there is a font selection, just make the font bigger. Full screen works in winders 2000, but I have seen text mode apps that didn't allow resizing.

Hi all, To get medoc 2.4 to run full screen in XP from a shortcut. open the shortcut properties and at the end of the target command line add a space then H5. so it loks similar to this 'C:\MEDOC\MEDOC.EXE H5'. If you want to see all the command switches available open a dos box and run medoc from the c: prompt, make sure you get the directory path right but make the switch invalid (space tt or something). you will then get a list of all the available correct switches. to use them just add a space then the switch at the end of the target line in your shortcut. works like a dream on my xp system. full screen after one click. ian