Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rraley

Controlnet question.

12 posts in this topic

I don't have any experience with control net and was wondering if it is possible to link to (communicate with) devices on the network for upload/ back-up purposes from one point on the system. I have a SLC 5/05 processor w/10 slot rack, a Logix 5555 10 slot rack, a logix remote I/O 10 slot rack, a 1397 drive and a PV 1000 all connected with control net. If it is possible is it super complicated and would I be better off going to each device and connecting locally?

Yes, you should be able to connect your PC to the network and communicate with the PLCs and the PanelView. (Don't know about the drive.) You need a controlnet comm card for the PC and the correct cable.

I am using a laptop. Is there an external adapter that can be used. I did try going on-line for all this in the Rockwell literature library but it's almost like information overload with the controlnet stuff. There are so many documents it's hard to know where to start.

OK, I answered my own question about the interface. It looks like I need a 1784-PCC. I do have RSnetworks for Controlnet software but I don't have it loaded as I have never before had occasion to use it. Will these two items get me going or are there other peripherals that I might need?

You have one part of the equation solved with the communications aspect. If you are looking to be able to upload data from the device to your PC, you will also need copies of the appropriate programming software for each device... RSLogix 500 for the SLC 500 RSLogix 5000 for the ControlLogix 5555 DriveExecutive for the 1397 drive (Note: a Lite version of this software which may meet your backup needs is bundled with certain RSLogix 5000 software packages) PanelBuilder32 for the PanelView. The good news is that you will be able to manage files on all the devices from a single location, without having to physically connect to each device. Rick

On a side note... If I remember correctly the 1784-PCC card is quite exspensive. You may want to look into buying an ENET card for the ControlLogix rack. You can then access the Controlnet network using Ethernet and go across the Logix Backplane to communicate with all of your ControlNet Devices. This way you can also easily integtrate the system into your LAN if need be. This will then only require that your laptop has a standard ethernet port.

I have all the appropriate software for processors, panel views and even the drive. So there are no issues there, but from what I've read it looks like there is no bridge capability for the SLC. So correct me if I'm wrong but I won't be able to upload it's program. This all might be biting off more than I can chew but I don't have any spare control net equipment to experiment on and I don't like disconecting devices to up-load, so I need to get all my facts straight before jumping off that cliff and possibly screwing something up. Cost of the PCC is not an issue as long as it is the most efficient means to accomplish the task. Edited by rwraley

How is the SLC connected to the ControlNet ? If it has a 1747-KFC15 then you can upload and download from the SLC via ControlNet. If it has a 1747-SCNR then you can only modify the I/O scanner functions of the -SCNR. If you already have an 1756-ENET or -ENBT in your ControlLogix system, you can bridge from that to ControlNet and access everything on the ControlNet. As you mentioned, the SLC "pass through" functions are limited compared to the very flexible bridging functions of the ControlLogix family.

The 5/05 has a 1747-SCNR in slot 10. The Logix 5555 rack has a Cntrl net adapter in slot 1 and also an E/IP slot 10. The logix RIO rack has a C-net adapter in slot 1. This system also has flex I/O modules at the control station. There is a panel view 1000 and a 1397 drive. Am I thinking backwards and could I see the whole mess with an Ethernet connection?

Based on this information, I think you should be able to see everything using Ethernet. Ethernet will let you connect to the SLC 5/05, and then you should be able to see the remaining ControlNet hardware using the ENBT-CNBT bridging, as mentioned in earlier posts. Rick

Rick is right on. You'll connect to the SLC and the Logix CPU via Ethernet, and bridge through to ControlNet to get to the drive and the PanelView.

Thanks guys!! I'm more familiar tunneling in via ethernet. Still, I always learn a lot from you all by asking these stupid questions.