Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
balerjoe

Best Control Engineers?

33 posts in this topic

Of the two, the EE has the best chance of becoming a fully functional controls programmer. That said, I'm of the opinion that few schools are set up to train CEs. Even those who graduate with 'Controls Engineer' on their sheepskin have a long way to go. A good CE is an outstanding technician first, then an engineer. So much of what a CE does overlaps with traditional skilled trades that you can come at it from either direction. Line up ten top flight CEs. Half of them will have undergrad degress or no degree at all. The other half will have degrees in everything from EE to divinity. The best CEs are the ones who take it upon themselves to figure out the game and do the coursework/apprenticeship necessary to get good at it. Edited by Gary.Johnson

hi, i graduate from university as an electrical eng. recently, i have worked in automation company for six mounths and i can say that immediatedly electrical enginneers have better background for automation than mechanics, but the most important thing is desire to learn something new. secondly the experience which are gained in industry in years

While I have a solid background in process control, I always looked back to the original Star Trek series for my insperation as a youth. Not too many mechanical guys on there and you never saw Scotty covered with grease and oil, and there was seldom a process that he couldn't fix thru the use of a keyboard

Scotty is my hero!!! Scotty is the best engineer that never was!

Have to agree, a lot of my inspiration and original direction towards engineering is due to star trek, but It was the engineers in The next generetion that drew my love for engineering. There was an engineering answer and solution for EVERYTHING. When i'm feeling uninspired I think back to cmdr la-Forge for inspiration. Still no closer to deciding who's the better engineer then folks?

I did like the next generation better. There was one episode where Scotty was a guest. The captain asked LaDore to do something. LaForge says it'll take an hour. Scotty reprimands him and says you should tell the captain it takes 4 hours, then when you're done in 1 you like like a hero. Just because of that Scotty wins!!!

hehehe, i'll have to remember that

So, the conclusion of this thread is: the best control engineer is Scotty?