Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Nelson

RSwho

16 posts in this topic

In my other post one of the fellows was speaking of being able to see all active nodes in rswho. well.... i dont just the one that i am plugged in to. i have 2 slc 5/04 and a PV 600 all connected via DH+ the panel view can send and recieve to and from both processors. so my question is why do they all 3 not show up when i am in rswho? i have rslinx gateway 2.42 (and can barley configure a driver) and rslogix 500 6.3 . i will admit communications have never been a strong point for me. i f one of you were to set up 2 slc 5/04's and a PV 600 from scratch to communicate via dh+ what would you do to make it work...correctly. thanks, david

You didn't mention how your PC is connected to any of these devices or the network. Edited by jstolaruk

If you are connect via the RS232 port on one of the SLC's, you are connected peer to peer using either DF1 or DH485, (most likely DF1), and will not be able to see the Data Highway, because you are not on it. However, if you are connected to the DH+ port on one of the SLC's, then you are a node on the network, and should be able to see all other nodes. How are you connecting?

i am using the rs232 port to connect. using df1 on the PV and 1747 pic/aic with a cp3 cable to connect to the plc's. but now i have a new problem i was trying to config channel 0 to run on df1 and now i cannot get back on line with one of the slc's to change it back to dh485. try removing battery over night but still no luck. but any way my PC is not directly connected to the dh+ network so may be that is the reason why i cannot see the other nodes. if you guys can help me get back online with the slc i would be greatful and chalk it up as another lesson from the school of hard knocks, thankyou , david

Here's the link to the AB document on resetting a SLC to the factory defaults: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...9E?OpenDocument WARNING: This will wipe out the memory of the SLC, and you will have to reload your program. If you do not have a backup copy, you will be S.O.L. Ken

wheeew!!!!! finnaly got that mess ironed out! Mr. Moore was i correct in saying that because my PC it's self is not connected to the DH+ is why i cannot see the rest of the nodes? I may try to tackle getting the 2 slc's to communicate to where i can have an input come in on one and get an output on the other but i dont even know if this can be done. thank you Mr. Moore you have been a life saver for newbies like me!

Yes, since your PC is not on the DH+ network, you cannot see any of the nodes. You can use the MSG (message) instruction to pass data back and forth between the two SLC 5/04's. Ken

i am experimenting with the msg ins but to no avail. i will keep trying though, because i was always told you cant learn if you dont try...Mr. moore how on earth did you manage to learn all this stuff? i have read many posts for you as well as others and you guys are like human encyclopedia's. i just hope i dont get to annoying with my simple stuff. i really appreciate all you folks for taking your time to help me , david

If you don't have it already, I recommend you download the SLC instruction set reference: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...rm001_-en-p.pdf Here's a link to the knowledge base example of DH+ message instructions: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...AF?OpenDocument

Greetings David, we can probably help with setting up the Message commands that you're working with ... IF you will tell us the DH+ Node (station) numbers of all of your equipment ... AND the addresses of the data that you want to transfer ... but ... my first question is this: how much data do you need to transfer between the SLCs? ... if the answer is "just one 16-bit word" or less, then you should research the "Global Data" feature ... basically this will allow your SLCs to communicate with each other over the DH+ network for "free" ... specifically, no MSG rungs, and no increased network traffic ... let us know if you're interested in help with this feature ... but ... be sure to tell us the addresses of your equipment so that we can provide detailed help rather than just general hints ... next item ... there IS a way to put your programming terminal on the DH+ without purchasing any additional equipment ... you need to research the Channel 0 "Pass-Thru" feature for this one ... whether this would be a good fit for your particular system depends on several things ... most important: do you make use of the Channel 0 (DB9) ports on the SLCs for anything other than programming? ... for example: do you connect a PanelView or anything else there? ... anyway ... the more we know about your system, the more we can help ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Your struggle with PLC communications mirrors the experiences of MANY skilled electricians and engineers that are new to programmable controls. I worked for Mac & Mac in Tech Support about 10 years ago, so I got to meet many local electricians and controls engineers. I found that nearly everyone knows how to wire a machine and build a control panel, most can read prints and know basic ladder symbology, and quite a few are familiar with the old 6200/APS software. Fewer still are comfortable with the RSLogix/RSLinx programming environment, and even less are knowledgable in how to construct, connect to, and maintain an industrial communication network. You'd be amazed how many auto plants I've walked into on a new launch and been asked to help with a really nice-looking assembly line, full of really capable-looking equipment, with a hopelessly confused, improperly wired DH485 or DH+ network (you usually find these wired as a hub-and-spoke topology :) preventing anything from communicating. And lucky for me that was before any of the new, "open" networks had gained momentum.. I can only imagine the problems are much worse now! All I'm trying to say is you're not alone in your confusion, many highly-skilled controls guys have shared your angst. Read as much as you can, experiment, and stick around here. You'll be a comms pro in no time :)

Hello Mr. Beaufort, I don't have to many things to send back and forth at this point it was really just going to be a learning expereince. so maybe if we try the channel 0 pass thru first it may ease me into the process of learning a little easier. you guys are the experts so i will do what ever you think would be best my first node is slc5/04 node # 1 processor name "homeauto" my second node is the panelview 600 node #2 my third is the other slc5/04 node #3 processor name "home3" the PV is connected to the slc's via dh+ the rs232 and other programming ports on the 5/04's and PV are only used for downlaoding the programs. the system channel 0 is set for dh485 on the slc's but i have managed thru trial and error to learn how to change it to DF1 full duplex and actually be able to get back online. i hope this what you need to get me started thanks, david Mr. Gravitar, it does make me feel a little better knowing that this stuff is somewhat complicated and i am not just plain dumb, david

Mr. Moore if found the slc instruction set to be very useful. i am still learning some of the terminology of the world of plc's but this is a major help. i downloaded the examples of the dh+ msg ins so that will keep me busy for a bit. thanks for the info Mr. Moore , david

this post should help you get the “Pass-Thru” feature going ... I’d strongly recommend that you play with this on a “spare” system and not on a production unit until you get familiar with it ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Hey umm.. just as an aside, we're all peers here. You don't have to call us "Mr. _____"

Just trying to be respectful. i was always taught to respect my elders whether they were elder in age or elder in experience and knowledge. you guys are like typing encylopedias. but i thank you for welcoming me on an even level gravitar.