Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pmcmahill

3rd Party Ethernet Comm Error Detect and Reset

7 posts in this topic

I have been trying to find out how to detect and auto-reset lost comm of my ethernet I/O interface modules. After several attempts and chit-chatting with others, we have found a semi-simple way to do this on the ControlLogix platform. I am attaching a PDF file showing what we did here. If anyone else has another solution, I would like to know. FYI - using a ENBT/A ethernet card and Phoenix FL IL 24 BK ETH/IP-PAC field Pat Ethernet_Auto_Reset.pdf

I partially agree with your method for getting the fault code. Unless the overhead of the GSV in really killing you I would put the GSV in the rung unconditionally instead every 7.5 seconds. That way if there is a communications fault you can execute code to stop anything that you may need and immendiately alarm someone. It would also allow you to better catch erratic communications faults. But the real big question I have is why are you having to reset the communications on you Phoenix FL IL 24 BK ETH/IP-PAC. I have never used this module but we have many different modules and they all come back online automaticly

I agree with TW: make them unconditional or at least send one at the time. I actually prefer to use a Module/EntryStatus GSV. It gives you actual connection status, not just a fault. Some times module can have no fault, but not running. Same question: why you need reset this module? Edited by Contr_Conn

Yes the Entry Status will be easier. We use the FaultCode because we frequently Inhibit modules to limit connections

I have never done a GSV command, and I was not sure how much scan time it would eat up. I was also concerned if it would cause trouble with my ethernet communication. That is why I put in the conditional timer. However, eveb if I had not put the timer on the GSV, I would need to put a timer on the MSG. I would not want to send it a constant reset while it was in the act of reseting. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I may look at changing this in the future.

Can you explain or have you looked into why you must reset the module?

I agree, device should not require reset after communication restored. Looks like poor Ethernet/IP implemenation. I remember talking to Phoenix programmer about 2 years ago - he was trying to find Ethernet/IP I/O control basics. I am not sure what I/O module he was working on ... Speaking of GSV - it takes about 11 microseconds to process. It is not going to the module over a wire, it looks at its status within a processor. Edited by Contr_Conn