Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J-D

writing values from PT to PLC

18 posts in this topic

im working on a project for school with a C20K PLC (with an C20P added) coupled with a NT20S touch screen. for the moment there's one thing that i'm not able to do and thats transfering a value from the PT int a HR- memory space in the PLC. I've searched a little bit on how to get an numeral display into action but the only thing that i'm able to do is show the value of the HR memory space in the display thats provided with the numeral display, i can do that by adding a reference in the numeral table to that HR value... is a numeral display the best solution? if yes; how do i write the value i choose to the memory area? i dont wreally know how to even begin so all help wil be very much appreciated ----------------------------- Edited by J-D

J-D, You need to use a numeral input to enter a value into the controller. A numeral display will only allow you to view the value. The HR range on the CK is pretty small, HR0 - HR9. DM area is DM0 - DM63. What HR are you writing to? Also, make sure the PLC is in Monitor mode. Run mode will not allow data changes. Hope this helps. Edited by gtsuport

i'm using HR00.04, the PLC is in Monitor mode, i'm using a numeral input and still, i can only change the numeral display that is displayed with the numeral input but it doen't changes the value in the PLC when i'm changing to another view and then return to the screen with the numeral input, the display is again given the actual value from the HR, but thats very normal i guess... the fact that it doesnt changes the value in the plc isn't... do i have to use a confirm button or something for the chosen value? by the way; on the C20K you have HR00.00 till HR09.15, no? Edited by J-D

Yes, you need a 'Confirm Input' button. It appears to be missing in the picture above. Under touch switch 'Settings' tab, select 'Input Key-Control' with the 'Function:' drop down box. Then under 'Control Key:', select 'ENT - Confirm input and focus moves to next input field'.

HR00.04 is a bit. Do you mean word HR4?

If my above post is unclear, it is because I have not worked with the NT20S in a while. We use the NT21 now. It has the same footprint, same price (for us) and a lot more function. Here is what we used to do for numeral input: -From the 'Window' menu, select 'Symbol Manager'. -Scroll down and select any keyboard you wish. -Right click your mouse on the selected keyboard you wish to use and select 'Copy'. -Close window and paste on your screen. You may recieve errors for replacement of symbol codes. I beleive these are just the codes for the labels on the touch switches. (I just click 'OK').

I appologize for working backward but here you go..... To get rid of the system keyboard (the one shown in your picture): -Select the screen properties and deselect 'System Keypad'.

Refering to my original post.... the key (Shown below) on the keyboard contains the info I instructed you to use only slightly different. 'Confirm input and focus remains at this field.' It appears the ENT key ('Confirm input and focus moves to next input field') is not available for the NT20S. In either case when the 'Confirm input' action is performed the data displayed in your numeral input will be written to the PLC. Edited by IO_Rack

yep, indeed, word HR4 Edited by J-D

allrightie, thx for the information i'm gonna try it ASAP!

owkay, i still have one major problem! how do i write the value typed in the numeral input into HR04 ? i know it must be something with the numeral table thingie but i cant figure it out

Double click your numeral table object. This will bring up the numeral table properties dialog box. Under the 'Settings' tab you'll see 'Table Entry:'. This number refers to a line in your Numeral Table (in the NT20). Click the little box with the 3 dots. This displays your numeral table. Choose a table entry and type the PLC address you wish the numeral input to write to. Edited by IO_Rack

kay, problem solved! thx for all the helping hands!

Since you are a student and learning, you should explore other possible solutions. Thumbwheel Switches reference the same as Numeral Inputs only the data is written immediately. Good luck on your assignment.

thx, but i tried it with a thumbweel and the only thing that i got was an "*" in stead of the value that is in HR04

Cannot understand that. I use thumbwheels on just about every job successfully.

I'm at home now and do not have one in front of me to test, but if I remember correctly..... The "*" means that either the screen object is not physically large enough to display the number or.... The number is numerically incorrect for the data type selected in the NT20S. For instance... you are trying to display a hexidecimal value from the PLC and the NT is set for decimal. Another for instance... it is out of range. Are you seeing this "*" in your thumbwheel or a numeral display? As Bob states... I can't imagine seeing this in your thumbwheel.

yep, indeed, the value was HEX <> DECIMAL, that's fixes now and the thumbweel works... even better than the numeral input! thx you all!