Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Enclosure code and wiring training materials

2 posts in this topic

Does anybody know of books, courses, online material, etc. that would teach me the ins and outs of enclosure wiring? I'm fairly new to plc's, only a few projects under my belt. What I would like to learn is how/when to use particular components. Breakers, fuses, terminal strips, anti-tiedown modules (and how to use them properly), etc. I just want to make sure I know everything I need to in order to accurately spec out a machines wiring and pneumatics. I just got done reading Industrial Control Safety from the articles section and it's great. I want more info like that, but something that gets more specific in each area.

well it is going to be difficult to cover all areas. i would recommend calling local college for classes such as Electrical Code (in Canada it's called Canadian Electrical Code or CEC). you can buy book but it is better to supplement it with course. this will cover number of topics from sizing condctors, conduits, overcurrent protection, etc. As for design of safety circuits, there are classes as well but usually as final of robotic course. Of course you can always join seminars, safety conferences etc. but those can be expencive. Last one I attended was here in Toronto (March 2005). You can find sample safety circuits in every catalog of safety products but they won't tell you gotcha's, just show sample circuit. i was thinking about writing something on it with sample circuits and explanations but as always, i'm short with time so this is something i was putting off for quite some time. for every type of safety circuit there is also matching standard. standards can be purchased through ANSI or CSA website (machine safeguarding, robotic cell safeguarding, two hand control, press control standard etc.). check with your workplace, maybe you already have some of them.