Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin Carpenter

Foolproof Software Protection

29 posts in this topic

If you had been programming PLCs back in the days when DOS was king, instead of soiling your nappers, you would have known about 8-character filename limits, 80-column screen widths, fixed-width fonts, the whole Y2K thing, etc. Don't whine to us because your mum and dad didn't get around to conceiving you until after the golden age of personal computing. Back in those days you had to put some thought into optimising your programs because there were limits on the amount of memory available. Now that you know how simple PLCs actually are, you must join the cult. If you won't someone who has already been initiated will be forced to remove your brain from your skull and give it a thorough cleansing. Information like this is too dangerous to be let out. If your boss knew how simple it is, he'd think he could do it.

I would volunteer to remove things!!! PLC's might be very easy for you or another to understand, but if so then why can't everyone code PLC's??? I think that the different chalanges you face everyday make it worth the while. If you were merely maintaining something, then it would become so boring. I personally see everyday as a challange and no two projects are ever the same. Maybe fosy's brilliance is beyond my comprehension???? Edited by waynes

the 8.3 naming format is supposed to be long obsolete and not an issue in modern day 32 or 64 bit OS. but same nudget who wrote DOS software made sure that all system directories even today (even in WinXP) don't exceed 8 character limit (windows =7, system32 = 8, etc.). ever wonder why? then the same guy(s) force-feed users with paths like: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\My Received Files or C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop... or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects etc... And where the heck are all those email archives. Right, they are in different place for different email client version and different OS version and in different format. How convenint...

panic mode, The problem lies with the subsystem. It is still based around a 16-bit loader. Windows has never been rewritten since 3.1/ 95. So, the initial loader is based around the 8.3 format. Look at your directory listing in windows. Go to run, type cmd. The type dir /x You will see all the 'so called longfilenames' have a 8.3 structure. The long file name is not a true reflection of what is on the disk, it is a cloak that has been pulled over our eyes. Covering what we do not need to see, so we can think that xp is a true 32-bit os. Just having a bit of a go at Micro$oft.