Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Automagic

PLC to CLX Migration

3 posts in this topic

So folks: Anybody made a large scale migration from PLC5 to CLX. I am in the beginning of a project and have hit a hurdle (imagine that, issues with an AB update). The migration requires the conversion of BTR and BTW to MSG instructions within the CLX. Issue, only 16 cached connection at once. I am now looking at having to change some of my 1771 I/O to CLX racks to try to mitigate the number of intelligent modules. Any ideas out there??

Yes the differences between the CLX system and the much older PLC5 are so great that it is surprising there are not more issues connecting the two together. Two thoughts come to mind: 1. The cached connection limit is not a hard limit. Any more than this and the rest are treated as uncached. This will likely slow things down a lot, but maybe not so much that your application cannot stand it. 2. My other thought is a little radical, but how about sourcing some surplus PLC5's and using them as the local rack adaptors. The code in each one would handle the BT's to the intelligent modules, and the R.I/O port could act as a slave to the 1756-DHRIO scanner. All the data from the PLC to the DHRIO module can then move as I/O image with no MSG blocks in the CLX processor. The scanner support 32 racks so it should shift a fair amount of analog data mapped into the PLC I/O image table. If this is not enough it would be very easy to use a simple multiplexing scheme to increase this. I'm the first to acknowledge that this is probably not the most elegant solution, but it might just work for you if you can access a few old PLC5's cheaply , or the cost of moving the analog I/O to 1756 form is too high.

I have done a conversion like this. It can be tricky! If you are still having problems email me at babaloo74@hotmail.com - I have a professional email address but not for posting on this site. Best Regards, Gordon