Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fgcastro

WinCC with OMRON PLC's

8 posts in this topic

Hello. In our installation we run a 22 OMRON PLc network. Recently, we got a courtesy WINCC Flexible Standard license. What does it take to run WinCC with OMRON PLC's? Thank you.

WinCC supports OPC I believe ?

Are you planning to use one OP/TP/PC per PLC ? That will be no problem. Siemens OP/TP panels supports Omron Hostlink/multilink directly, so you are covered with your Win CC Flex standard. If you want to use a PC with a runtime, then you need Win CC Flex Advanced to make the project. Or do you want to connect one OP/TP/PC to all PLCs at the same time ? That wont work, because Win CC Flex projects allows for max 8 connections in all. Win CC Flex RT on PCs also supports OPC connections, but you dont need that as it has native Omron support.

Most likely with an OPC server for Omron Hostlink, you won't run in to the limitation of max 8 connections.

Unfortnately that wont circumvent the limitation.In WinCC Flex you will have to setup each "device" (meaning PLC CPU), and the limit is 8.

My experience with OPC is that the client application doesn't refer to actual devices rather to items from the server application ? Well, it does sound like Siemens to have thought of this too

Its not Siemens fault, it is the way OPC works. I think that fgcastro wants to have on OP per PLC. He has only WinCC Flex Standard, so he probably isnt considering a solution that involves PCs at all. Edited by JesperMP

In our installation we have three networks running a sail making machine. Two networks are Controller Link (OMRON propietary network) connected between them through a wireless ethernet link. We monitor and control the application through a PC (running Omron's HMI tool) connected to the main PLC though a wired Ethernet connection. I wanted to test if WinCC could perform as OMRON"s HMI tool or better?