Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Wilson

Encoder Counts

3 posts in this topic

Hello to all, I am dealing with a Dynapar Brand A25 absolute encoder on a conveyor system that is susceptible to deviations in counts in both directions due to the nature of the system. The conveyor belt wraps over the encoder wheel, and when product feeds onto and off of the belt there tends to be a slight speed up/slow down affect. Overall, this is totally permissable and transparent to the operation of the conveyor in itself. I want to filter out the highs and lows in the PLC code, and ideally only show an incrementation of 1% at a time, while not ever decreasing until I am back at 0%. TIA

:*-( I find it hard to believe somdbody out there hasn't had to do this! Not even a suggestion?

Start with a "last scan" value of zero. Subtract the last scan value from the current encoder value each scan. When the difference exceeds a 1% increment for a certain length of time, move the current value to the last scan value. Use the last scan value as your "output". It will increase steadily at 1% increments and never roll backwards. When the difference is negative, the encoder has rolled over, so start again from zero.