Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neildobson

GXDEV PLC Transfer

3 posts in this topic

I've been using GX Developer for a couple of years now and there are a few things that annoy me a little like the non-use of modern windows dialogs (instead of the circa 1990s dialogs for open, save etc.) but the biggest annoyance is with transfer settings. We use lots of FX PLCs and unfortunately we don't have time to sit and test applications on paper so we have to constantly modify the program, download, test, modify, download, test etc. etc. When downloading you first have to select the MAIN program by clicking the checkbox and then press execute button. This of course will download the program to the PLC writing the whole of it's memory. If you are constantly downloading new revisions you can save a bit of time by just downloading only the memory used by your program. For instance if your program is 156 steps (goto the last rung and note the step number) you can select the Program tab and pick Step Range and enter the step number. The problem is GX Developer doesn't remember any of this meaning you have to go through the same steps each time you download. I can't seem to find a way of persuading the software to remember my settings. Any ideas? What would be cool is if GXDev defaulted to select MAIN program and there was an option in the program tab to download 'just the program'. This would save a whole load of time in our developement. I don't know any way of getting feedback to Mitsubishi on matters such as this...I'm from the UK!!

you don't have to scroll to the bottom of the ladder file to see number of steps. they are shown beside ladder file name on top of the screen (" MELSOFT series GX Developer...Project name [LD(mode) Program Name number of steps]" ). Don't have plc at hand to try it out but there sould be button just above list of files that you normally check before transfer. It is labeled something like "Programs and Configuration". Granted, GX Dev interface is a bit strange and not quite functional but there is always online editing so you don't have keep on downloading program or testing on paper. Download only once and finish programming and testing while online. I'm sure Mitsubishi has office in the UK but you can call or email guys in US.

Have you tried monitoring online in write mode. All you do is make changes you wish to make and then convert the changes and its down loaded. I have found GX no different than any of the other software packages in that respect. I am also from the UK. Rodney