Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

AB Micrologics and Absolute encoder

4 posts in this topic

Question Just finished a couple of projects where I used a Omron cqm1h plc which you can use a absolute encoder card in, and connected it to a Omron Absolute Grey Scale Encoder. With some help from some folks in the Omron Forum, was finally able to figure out how to take the input and convert it and scale it between 0-360, which represented one complete revolution of the machine, and then turn on items such as glue etc. at certain angles that the fixers can set from a operator screen. In the last few weeks, Have also just finished doing some press machines where I used the micrologics 1200 plc, and in the process of completing the projects have gotten where I really like using the software. I have a couple of more projects coming up ( packaging), where I again will need to use a absolute encoder connected to a main drive shaft, and am considering using a micrologics 1200 or 1500 plc. and was hoping that maybe someone has already done this with a AB PLC and absolute encoder and could possible suggest the best way to accomplish this. [b]Yes, I am asking for a possible sample program and some advice on which encoder to use etc. A good example can save a lot of time, and thanks to some folks who posted some advice when I was trying to figure out how to do this with a Omron was able to complete it in a fraction of the time it would have took. I have a couple of weeks before I have to actually spec out the components and the necessary cost on this project, so I will actually be able to order a encoder, PLC etc., and connect it all together and test on the bench, before I have to commit to which PLC components will be use. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I have not used gray code encoders, but natural binary ones. The ones I use are 12 and 14 bit, so you simply connect them to an input card, and MVM the card's data through a mask with 12 or 14 bits set to get the value from the encoder. It can then be scaled to eng. units. Mine are Dynapar and Stegmann brands. There is sample A/B code for converting gray code to binary HERE The micrologix 1200 and 1500 controllers have a GCD function that does the work for you.

thanks for info could you post a sample program

Even though this post is 9 years old I wanted to say it helped me find my way. Thanks.