Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BITS N BYTES

CX Programmer and CX Protocol

9 posts in this topic

Is there a method to run both CX Programmer and CX Protocol at the same time? Right now I am using a CJ1M-CPU21 processor with my PC connected to the programming port of the PLC. If I am ON LINE with CX Programmer and need to download a new protocol list with CX Protocol it is necessary to go OFF LINE with CX Programmer and then Connect to the PLC with CX Protocol. Once a Protocol list has been downloaded I must disconnect from the PLC with CX Protocol and go back ONLINE with CX Programmer. A lot of ONLINE/OFFLINE/CONNECT/RECONNECT etc. etc.

I think it will depend on the version of software you are using. With CX-One, I believe you can access the SCU through the IO Table and start CX-Protocol with settings inherited (knows to go through existing connection). I think this is correct. If using previous versions, pretty sure you will have to do as you described. Good Luck!

Thanks gtsuport. I am using CX-ONE but have no idea how to implement the method you describe. Any suggestions?

OK, so you made me set up the system to make sure I tell you correctly With CX-Programmer connected to the controller and on-line, click on IO Table and Unit Setup in the workspace on the left. When the IO Table box opens, you need to double right click on the [0000] Main Rack. If this is all blank, then click on the Options pull down and Transfer from the PLC. You should now see the SCU in the appropriate location in the rack. Click on the SCU, then right click to open a menu box. Move cursor to Start Special Application, then choose Start with Settings Inherited. You should get a box to choose CX-Integrator or CX-Protocol. Choose CX-Protocol and CX-Protocol should start, and you should be good to go.. Good Luck! Hope this will help.

Are you using an USB to RS232 converter?

No, directly out the Serial port. Have tried using a USB to Serial Converter but cannot get CX-One to work with this configuration!!!

Correct. You can also run CX-Integrator by this method and CX-Programmer from within Integrator. Drove me nuts trying to find it both ways. The help is lousy.

BobB you rock!!! Many thanks for the tip - works great. Yes indeed, the Omron documentation and help is really lousy - BUT their PLC's are amazing!!

...not forgetting the software! anonymous