Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
notricks

Monitoring a plant - First steps! (WinCC flexible)

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, i work in a small plant with 4 (relevant) machines. I would like to install a PC for monitoring the machines and control some parameters of those. And of course, i would like to do it the cheaper way. According to the configuration that i have right now (figure), i was thinking in a MPI network. What do you guys think? Could i use a PC/MPI cable to connect the supervision PC to the network? or should i buy the PCI card ? I have wincc flexible advanced, 2 PC/Mpi adapters, profibus cable and connectors. Should i buy something else? Thanks in advance! Filipe, Portugal Edited by notricks

Get a CP5611 card. It is not much more expensive than a Serial PC adapter, but much more powerful. You can certainly connect everything via MPI. However, with S7-300 an MPI segment is limited to 50 meters in total. This because the MPI ports on the S7-300 is not of the isolated type. You can extend the MPI network with repeaters if it has to reach more than 50 meters. Note: The 50 meters limitation is in total, not just between two stations.

Hi Jesper, thanks for the reply. I guess i'll use the pci card you mencioned (5611). I'll post here any doubts, questions, about this small project. Best regards, Filipe