Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sthays

Allen Bradley vs. Automation Direct

Which PLC to buy:   15 votes

1. 1. Which PLC to buy:

• Allen Bradley
    • Automation Direct

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

I am in the process of taking over a project to design a PLC controlled ventilation system. My predecessor, who has very little experience with PLCs, decided to use the DL-205 family of PLCs from Automation Direct. I have experience with Allen Bradley PLCs (using ControlLogix 5000), and was wondering what the difference in quality and price is between Allen Bradley and Automation Direct. Reliablilty and safety are higher priorities than cost at this time. We will primarily use gages to monitor air flow, and adjust dampers automatically to reach set flow points. Not extremely hard logic, but the system will eventually become rather complex. Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance Steve Hays

Quality is there with Automationdirect.com. I have a whole plant full of them. Very few problems. The advantage is the price is lower than AB, and the delivery is next day when you want it. No middleman when purchasing. However, if you are very good with AB then that may be the way to go. It is your decision in the end. I voted by what I would choose based on your description. On the other hand, if you want to try something new, its easy software to learn. There are some things that are a little different, such as paying attention to BCD and binary register formats when using analog inputs. If you are further considering AD then check out the new 06 line. It is even less expensive and quite capable. Good Luck with your decision!! Edited by GerryM

Steve, Before you can even answer the question as to which is better...to which there is no real answer because it depends on your application. First, what are your application requirements? I have experienced in many situations that your requirements will determine that either a controller is a good solution or just doesn't fit at all. Obviously, you will have some bias in that you are familiar with Allen Bradley. However, Allen Bradley and Automation Direct are not the only PLC vendors you can choose from. Each will have their strengths and weaknesses, both in product, price and customer service / support. Keep your mind open to other possibilities as well. I look forward to reviewing your application requirements. Please note that I am employed by Entertron - an embedded PLC manufacturer. Hope this helps. God Bless,

The application is actually more simple than i had first thought. It is going to balance the system automatically, but also allow the dampers to be adjusted manually if necessary, then lock the dampers in position. It will provide data for troubleshooting. There will be at least one variable frequency drive. I do have the experience with AB, and that was why it was my first choice as an alternative, but I am open to suggestions for other companies. Thanks Steve

I voted A-B because I don't see any advantage A.D. has over A-B, especially if you are already comfortable with A-B products and cost is not of primary concern. The "middleman" that was spoken of in a previous post can be a close ally if you run into difficulties. Not to knock Automation Direct mind you, I have used them before and they have a very impressive telephone/internet sales and support staff. But therein lies the flaw.. Sometimes nothing can beat meeting face-to-face with technical staff on your own plant floor. And if you think next day shipment is good, how about same-day, at will-call counter or hand-delivered by your A-B salesman? The larger and more sophisticated the project, the more I believe the scales tip toward A-B. For something rather small and simple, the two are perhaps about equal. (Personal preferences aside that is!) Disclaimer: I'm a former tech support guy from a major A-B distributor! Edited by gravitar

I was an allen bradley feak until I started using plc direct about 3 years ago. the price is about 1/2 and I have han no problems in the fielc

That's the best advice. Take a look at three or four plcs and evaluate. AB, AD, Entertron, and one other that you always wanted to try but never did. For me that would be Unitronics. Then choose.

Steve, Based on what you have said so far, you will require at least one analog output for your VFD. Do you have any additional specifics for the I/O you will require? Will you require a temperture input for determining when the dampers should be opened or closed? How many dampers are there and will they be controlled together or independent of eachother? How many guages will you require? Are they analog, digital or pulse? Sorry for all the questions, but the more specific your information is, the more specific your questions can be answered as to which would be best for your application.

I am a big fan of Automation Direct and beleive that when you buy AB you are paying for the name. Not to knock on AB they have great products but their just so dang expensive.

hi, I think that the best plc is the one that you know best.

Would you say that to someone that only knows PLC-2 or SLC 100? Unless the panel must be built RIGHT NOW, it is wise to consider even those technologies that are outside your comfort zone, and expand your boundaries a little.