Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerry

On-Line Programming?

5 posts in this topic

I'm about to delve into an OEM machine with a FX2N unit. Mitsi is totally new for me, so have a few basic questions.. Can this model be edited on-line (i.e. in run mode) Is there a method for sharing the program port with an HMI and a programming terminal? System has FX2N-64MT with RS485-BD (connected to Baldor Mint motion controller) and ProFace HMI connected to program port. We have GX Dev FX Ver 8 s/w.

Yes you can do online edits in that PLC. As for sharing the port, no. If you had used a Mitsubishi operator interface you could have connected that to the serial port and then connected the programming port on the HMI to the PC and programmed either the HMI or the PLC. I don't think Proface has this option. An E-terminal or GOT would have been a better bet.

Yes the FX2n PLC can be edited in Run Mode. By default GX developer is set to don,t write to the PLC. this mean that you have to manually write the program to the PLC after you have Compile it. This option can be change to "Write during Run". the chages to the program will be automatically compile and written to the PLC. When using the E-serie/Mac serie HMI. the PLC can be monitor and program via the HMI using Transparent Mode. You only have to connect the Programming terminal to the HMI and the HMi to the PLC

If the multipin connector under the PLC front cover is free, you can install there FX2N-232-BD board to add a RS-232 port or FX2N-422-BD board to add a RS-422 port. Each is ~$50. Concerning online edits during RUN: Such edit may fail and the software will switch offline when editing interrupts, subroutines, rungs with high-speed counters and instructions. There must be no any text after the END instruction. Since the transfer affects the PLC scan period, the timers, interrupts, high-speed and in-scan ramps and more may operate incorrectly. Also, the high-speed output may fail to operate if any rung with high-speed output instruction was edited online. PLC must be restarted in such case.

Thanks for all the prompt replies!