Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest XMP

What kind of Memory

2 posts in this topic

Can anyone explain to me what the SLC500 processors come with in terms of memory. It has 8k or 16k is this internal to the processor....the memeory modules it comes with I see it has Battery back RAM, EPROM and EEPROM are these the same in terms of function. Is the battery back RAM different form the RAM in the processor or is it now battery backed up. Please can some explain a little of this to me.

The 8K, 16K, etc are internal RAM that comes with the specific processor you purchase. When they talk about RAM, it is talking about how large of a program you can load into the SLC. The SLC modular units have a battery back up that allows you to back up the RAM and keep your program when there is no power. If there was no battery(or the battery was dead) , when power was lost the program would be lost as well. EPROM, EEPROM is where a "backup" of your program can be stored. You purchase an (E)EPROM large enough to accomodate the progam. In RSLogix, you have to separately download the program to the memory module. Then if you lose the program, you can tell the processor to automatically load from the (E)PROM, or you can do it via the software when you attempt to go online.