Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Pick and place code that was uploaded...

30 posts in this topic

Thanks for the input Bob. I wasn't aware that the CLX platform had so much capacity. The weekend debug is not an option, as we run 24/7. But....we do shut down every once and a while. I would most likely use an outside SI, because I just don't have the time that this would require. One quick question, with the CLX modbus card, the card memory is accessible via the backplane? No block transfers? Yeah!

see link for prosoft modbus card for clx you have the sample with the RSL500 see vender sample applications http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/621

Yes I believe that the registers of the Modbus will show up a tags in CLX. You might have to use ProSofts UDT's {User Data Type} but you'll have tags you can program to without Block Xfer. I did not mention it might be possible to change the Remote IO { 1756-DHRIO / 1771-ASB setups} to ControlNet IO {1756-CNB / 1771-ACN15 } in which case all of your analog would also be tags in the CLX not block transfer. BIG CAUTION HERE - CHECK WITH ROCKWELL !! Some 1771 Analog Cards do not play nice with ControlNet. Consult AB for latest details. P.S. - You did see me say that this could be done one PLC 5 at a time right? And that reverting back is an option right up until the end. P.P.S - Once your "hybrid system" {CLGX CPU with 1771 I/O} is running and debugged you can swap one rack of 1771 I/O at a time to the newer 1756 CLGX IO. Let's you ge tthe program right without worrying about wiring being faulty and then change the wire without worry8ing about theprogram being faulty.

Just checked the Knowledgebase and found the following: Answer ID - 17938 - The 1771-IX and 1771-IY Modules Will Not Work on the ControlNet Platform. Since we use the 1771-IX in some of our apps we've gone to CLGX DHRIO rather than CNET. We could try the alternative modules, but have an inventory of 1771-IX to burn thru first. Answer ID - 21609 - Block Transfers from ControlLogix to 1771-ACNR15. THis should snawer some of your questions about block transfers.

Thanks Bob, I'll have to do a little reading, and perhaps make a recommendation to management.