Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rraley

1747-UIC connection problem

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1747-UIC USB interface and am trying to connect with a SLC 5/03 processor. If I use it selected in RS 485 with RJ 45 cable and the DF-1 driver it works just fine but if I select RS 232 and connect to the same processor with a 1747-CP3 cable in channel 1 DB-9 connector it does not see it. I would imagine that it has to do with channel config in processor so I went in with the first method and checked the config and DF-1 is not available on Ch-1 only DH-485 does this mean that there is no way to communicate over ch-1 to computer. Edited by rraley

Channel 1 is the RJ45 socket that you are connected to. Channel 0 is the 9-pin RS232 port, you need to select DH485 in the drop-down box to use the UIC on this port.

Read this ,it should help 1747_UIC.pdf

Ch. 1 of the 5/03 is DH-485 ONLY. You need either the 1747-UIC or 1747-PIC to connect to CH. 1. If you wish to connect to CH.0 via either DF-1, do not use the UIC. Connect the 1747-CP3 cable directly to CH 0 of the 5/03 and to the serial port of your computer. Since you are using a UIC, I assume that you do not have a serial port. If this is the case, to connect via DF-1 with the CP-3 cable, you need a USB-to-Serial converter. The UIC will not function for that purpose. The serial connector on the UIC is for DH-485 devices that have a physical RS-232 port; if the SLC's serial port (CH. 0) on the SLC has already been configured for DH-485 instead of DF-1, then you could use the UIC to connect via DH-485.

If you want to use the UIC to communicate over channel 0 then you have to also configure CH0 of the PLC for RS485. The UIC is a PIC replacer, not a USB-serial adaptor. If you want to remain with DF-1 over a serial connection then you have to use a USB adaptor such as 9300-USB. Personally, I would recommend a Keyspan USB-serial adaptor over the 9300-USB. Edited by Alaric