Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Communication speed with FX1N

9 posts in this topic

I tried changing the communications speed from 9600 to 19200 under Transfer Setup. When I try to load a program in the PLC I get the same error message as if I didn't have the cable hooked up. "Can't communicate with PLC...." What is the reason I can't run this thing fast? Is there a way to? Thanks.

Please post one topic (I've deleted the double one). You can select any baud rate in GX developer, it will work with any selection if the cable is ok and port is not used by other application. What com port you use? Default is COM1 and if you are using USB converter, your port is likely to be COM4, 5, or higher. Are you using SC-09? Are you using something other than GX Developer? What OS?

Sorry about that. Didn't know I posted it twice. I'm using Com2 (no usb)and going through an E150 using CAB5. Would the display be a limitation on speed? I didn't try it going right into the PLC with the SC-09 cable. Windows XP. GXDev-FX V.8

If you're going through the E terminal, make sure your GX-Developer comm settings match the RS232 port on the E-terminal, not the PLC settings. The setting from thr E-terminal to the PLC is handled by the E-terminal. You just tell the PLC what the first device is it will talk to. So if the RS232 port on the E is set for 9600, you're still going to communicate at 9600 in GX-Developer.

Thanks for the help Chris, but could you give me a more basic explanation. I'm not too far along in PLC experience. I just tried changing the rate in E-Designer to 19.2K but the display just goes to "Ready" and times out. I can only transfer a display program at the 9.6K setting. Could you elaborate on "You just tell the PLC what the first device is it will talk to..." I'm not too sure how to do that. "So if the RS232 port on the E is set for 9600..." Is this setting you are talking about under settings in transfer on E-Designer? I guess I just need more step by step on what to change/check. Thanks for your help.

The PC port setting must match the PLC/HMI port settings. Otherwise- no communication.

E-Designer: Go to Setup menu=>Peripherals. Change both ports to 19200, E, 7, 1 by double-clicking port addr (Right button...) Send E-project to terminal. After that change GX-dev. port parameters (Online=>Connection setup). Double-click PC-Side=>Serial and change speed to 19200. Tmu Edited by tmu

What I meant was that you need to set the port on the PLC and the port it will talk to on the HMI the same, and then set the port on the HMI you will use to program and the port on the PC for the same thing. Make sure the two ports that are cabled to each other are set the same.

Ok, I finally got it. Thank you very much for everyones help!