Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Unsure

Removal of I/O from Hot system

4 posts in this topic

I was discussing with some personnel the removal of cards Input, Outputs cards from a Live PLC (SLC/03) system. I know it not the recommended practice to remove cards in this way. My question is this can it be done without damage to the system. Does AB have hot swappable cards or sytems (SLC/0X). If I do remove a card, can I force the input/ outputs then remove the card replace it that way the program operations that may be dependent on different statuses will not be affected. Thoughts on these will be great appreciated. Has anybody been that gutsy to do this?

NO, You can not change a Input or Output card from a Live PLC!!! For one, you may cause damage to the Input or Output. Two, the CPU will know that the card is missing and FAULT!!!!!

The ControlLogix system is designed to permit removal and insertion of I/O cards under power. I have attempted it with 1771 I/O and there's about a 50% chance of getting away with it. With the SLC, I'm pretty sure you would cause a processor fault.

You can inhibit an SLC I/O module and then remove it when the power is off without faulting the processor.. but not without powering down the controller. You will fault the controller, and may damage the module or the chassis backplane chip. The SLC is very protective of it's backplane consistency; it does a full check of module ID's and module health every single program scan. Modules must match their configuration precisely or the controller won't run. The SLC considers missing I/O to be an "out of control" situation. The FLEX I/O family can be removed hot, and can be used as expansion I/O for SLC's. As mentioned previously the ControlLogix system is really the family that was designed for Removal/Insertion Under Power.