Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

OverTime Pay Questions for everyone

40 posts in this topic

Hello all, Been a student for the past 3 years and have now rejoined the full time working life and all the fun stuff that comes with it. I work as an overseas engineer on an hourly rate, so for an average week in the office back in the UK, it’s a 39hr with no week end work needed. If I work away in the UK or overseas, I get a nightly overnight commission. If I work overtime I must work 10hrs before it gets paid at a time and a third, any weekend work gets paid at the usual of time and a half and double time. Also I get a monthly car allowance so I have no excuse but to turn up on time to work. The previous overseas job I had was a salaried 39hr, overnight commission, no car allowance and did not pay any overtime except for Sundays, home or away. Used to work from 8 till 8 depending on the state of the job, but tried to keep it to 8 till 5 when working away, leaving the weekend free for R&R. So I am on a better number now and am just glad to get a decent job so soon after UNI.

I am an Automation Engineer is West Texas. Previous job or I should say jobs. Straight salary, NO OT, used to work with Mr. Bishop in Kansas. Lots of travel with somtetimes small and sometimes better per diem for overnights. Got sick of travelling, Quit Job, studied for and Passed PE Exam, now in business for myself where I charge OT for after hours and weekends and don't have a boss telling me at 5pm on Friday that I need to be at a plant 6 hours down the road by 6pm.

Hey John. If you talk real nice to me I can get TNT to take you back. I know you want to. You have been missing us, I can tell. LOL

Absolutely not. TNT called me about 5 months ago wanting help to rewrite the "pathalyzer" for manitowoc. Yeah right, not in this lifetime. I think I'll just stay out here in the dust and heat. JM

Yup. Jason is the lucky guy on that job. I am stuck in Ohio on a flour mill. Next week in Michigan on a flour mill.

Is that like a "brethalyzer"? :)

No. But I think everyone who had to work on the project took up drinking.

Actually some of us did take up drinking or maybe that was just start drinking more.

I'm an electrician/plc guy in a molded fiber manufacturing plan in Oregon. We get OT after 10 hours in a day or over 40 in a week. On call 24/7 and get 2 hours over time if called in, even if the fix is 5 minutes. If longer than 2 hours, then OT continues till our regular shift would start.

I'm a systems engineer from London, UK I do 36 - 40 hrs a week as salaried staff, but because I fall into maintenance dept I get the opportunity to go on call some weekends. Any OT on a weekday is unpaid. When on call I receive half the AVERAGE hourly rate for 8hrs/day, Saturday and Sunday. For attendance I'm paid min. 4hrs at time+half for Saturday and on Sunday it's double. The hourly rate is based on an average salary of certain members of staff (all the low paid). This is pants as I'm on about £10k above this, so I'm at a bit of a lose. Flip side is that provided there are no breakdowns I get paid for staying at home. If I get to go abroad the pay is negotiated prior to departure, each job is worth a different amount to the company. 3 months in Italy commissioning I was on 2 x Sunday rate, which at the time was more than double salary. Then 8 days in Spain on flat money +£10/day. Fine until I found that the child care for that period was £15/day. Up to 6months sick is pretty cool too, well it would be if I was ever sick.

Controls Engineer in the Detroit MI area. Salaried, no overtime pay, but extra consideration at year-end bonus. Typical work day is 8am to 5pm, no weekends unless needed. On-site at customer location gets an extra $40/day. Edited by jstolaruk

What is overtime. Can you explain. Can i find this in the dictionary? North Dakota

Definition of Overtime: The reason why your company hired you as a salaried employee!

I knew there had to be some locals here! Who do you work for? I'm presently at Bing Metals, in the welding plant..

As far as overtime I get paid....no attention that is! My average work week is 40+ hours and I am continuos call in because our maintenace staff leaves something to be desired. Lately I have been on a project in Mexico. Now if you have ever worked in Mexico you know that everything is tomorrow or manana which ever you prefer. A 10 day startup turned into a 2 month start up because of so many hydraulic problems. So after I convience them that it is not electrical (I am a Controls Engineer) and I point them to a hydraulic issue they talk about it for a few hours go to lunch which is at 2PM come back scratch their heads and say we will fix it tomorrow. All this leads to many hours of sitting and waiting. My company gets paid well for all the hours I work but I am on salary which means anything over 40 hours is a freeby. I know what your thinking... does he not get comp time? Well maybe once in a blue moon I may get a day off with pay but they really act like they are going out of their way to do you a favor. Disgruntled you may ask? Heck yea! But such is the life of a Controls/Electrical Engineer in PA.