Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jkobus

Touchscreen For An Allen Bradley Slc 503

14 posts in this topic

I am currently looking for a touchscreen that has the ability to retain and download recipes to a SLC 503. It needs to be at least 16 color and at least 10". I have looked all over the internet but this gets time consuming. Please help. Thanks

Well after a whole 30 secs here is. Product Code AB2711K10C16 Description PV 1000 COLOUR KEYPAD RS232 DF1 Product List Price £2,618.00 EACH Extended Description Allen-Bradley's range of PanelView 1000 operator interfaces offer flexible configuration and communications. The 10.4Inch colour VGA display features TFT technology with 640 x 400 resolution. Ideal for both PLC and SLC500 controller applications, the PanelView 1000 is available in seven versions - Remote I/O, DH-485, RS-232 (DH-485 not PLC5), RS-232 (DF1), DH+, DeviceNet and ControlNet. The operator screens are enhanced by the pixel graphics LCD displays and are designed with flat panel displays offering minimum depth. Screens are configured using PanelBuilder development software including such features as a WYSIWYG interface and the ability to work with multiple screens concurrently. Product Highlights Active matrix TFT display: 211 x 158 mm Pixel graphics (VGA) - 640 x 480 16 function keys (keypad version) Keypad or touch screen versions available Built in printer port Supports various communication options Application screens: 30 (typical) Voltage: 85-265V AC (24V DC units available - add L1 to product code) The AB Range has a variety of Operator interfaces in both touch and non touchscreen versions, various size and monochrome. As far as the receipes go thats down to you to do the software for the LOI and PLC.

If you are looking to reduce the cost of your HMI, may I recommend the E-series of terminals nade by Beijers (sold by Mitsubishi), for the money you pay, the e-terminals offer a much more cost effective option, we are installing e-terminals with SLC's in various locations where the panelviews have proved to be more expensive.

Quickpanel series from Total Controls is less expensive alternative than Panelview. Edited by Sergei Troizky

As Sergei Troizky sugested a Quick Panel is a valid choice. However the Quick Panel has a duplicate that is made by Digital and may also be known as ProFace. They are bar none the best touch screen around. The functionality is light years beyond anyone else. Meji Corp (847-364-9333) is one US supplier. You can also visit them on the web at; www.pro-face.com. Oh and the price is about half of AB's.

Kevin, Do you have to pay extra for the AB DH+ or DH-485 drivers to use with these interfaces? What about the software? Are they reasonable with the cost of programming software?

No you don't have to pay extra for any of the drivers. They are all included. You would have to pay for a DH+ module if that is the network of choice. The software is very reasonable only about $200. I have seen specials for under $200.

I would recommend Red Lion controls they are really cheap compared to Allen Bradley panel views and have a lot of good functions.

Omron NT HMIs or Eaton will work fine with AB

Hey guys... I've been using maplesystem displays. Boy are those things KEWL. Half the cost of a panelview, and a ton load more features. It can load and unload receipes. They have a 10.4" model for you. Check it out, I think you'll be impressed. I was.

I don't mean to argue or start flame wars, but... I like the variety to keep prices down and have freedom of choice, but nothing compares to panelviews when it comes to visibility and crispness of the picture. Also which of the screen brands you have tried with AB PLCs supports more than one screen per SLC?(I usually need 2 or more). I use what customer can afford. But if you ask me, screens should be in color (I'm tired of explaining what is ON and OFF) and definitelly TFT (I just can't stand those lausy DSTN losers...). I couldn't care less if screen costs $500 or even $5 if it doesn't have at least 150degree viewing angle, crisp colors(!) and excellent contrast. And I don't care what anyone says but when it comes to picture quality and contrast Omron (NT and NS), Mitsubishi (A900 and F900 series, don't know about E-terminals yet), EZ-Touch and the rest of the crowd cannot touch AB panelviews, period! If you don't think so take any screen of your choice and put side by side with say PV600, 900 or 1000 and see for yourself (and don't forget to turn on the lights). If you have found one that is comparable to PV but costs less let me know, I will be happy to use it. regards Edited by panic mode

A lot of what you say is true, but I wish they weren't so dang proud of them!

As I stated earlier the PanelViews don't even compare the a ProFace screen in operataion, features, view, footprint or price.

I used Allen Bradley SLC 504 communicate with Proface 2300 series through 1761-AIC. The setup for the communication is a bit difficult, but once done, it functions very well. The another way is purchase a DH+ module for the Proface touchscreen, but it more costly compare to you purchase a 1761-AIC. You can link the Proface to SLC through Port 0 if you are not going to use the string file or ASCII file, because difference communication method will affect the type of files are supported. Overall the Proface is a good choice in term of price and function. If later on you going to collect data from PLC to a PC, you can just link the touchscreen through Ethernet and purchase another software from Proface will do. So far I am quite satisfy with the performance of Proface touchscreen.