Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gman1

Servo tuning

5 posts in this topic

Hi. 

I am planning to do a full scale servo tuning on our producting machine.

Is it possible to do it while the servos are in, assambled? I mean no production, no disassembling, servos stay where they are, just tuning them one by one with their empty load..

Edited by Gman1

You can, but the tuning method depands on servo amplifier model and type of servo system...

You won't get direct answer. You will need to read the operation manual for the specific servo drive. Else there's big chance to damage something...

tuning servo without load tells nothing about operation with load.

but keep in mind that during tuning, servo may move erratically, out of expect range and of course crash.

make sure to have at least working limits set correctly. hardware limits are preferred.

1 person likes this

as glavanov wrote it depends on the type of servo and inverter. At the moment I know only MRJ3 and MRJ4 inverters and the software MR-Configurator2,
therefore the following information refers only to the two inverter types, but should work in principle also with other inverter types.
When using auto-tuning via the inverter, the number of output pulses as well as the type (High/Standard/Low) can be set.
I would position the axis approximately in the center of the travel range before auto-tuning is started.
At the first run I would choose the number of output pulses so small that less than one motor revolution takes place
(Attention: if due to the gear factor one motor revolution is already too much, then less). The distance travelled by the axis
during auto-tuning is usually much greater than the real distance travelled during the corresponding revolution,
this depends largely on the setting of the permissible 'overshoot amount'.
Afterwards, the number of output impulses can be increased so that the largest possible driving range of the axis is covered.
The auto-tuning usually works relavtivly well, if you have vertical axles and/or off-center loads one must mostly still adjust
the resonance filter somewhat.
Good luck

The Inverters are all MRJ4 types. I would do it with MRConfigurator2. Almost all of the motors has a physical gear reduction. But AndreasW's idea of positioning them in the middle range is a good idead, I will consider it.

One more question: during the tuning, does the inverter set off the break in the motor?